What is the formula for calculating Kmin of a nucleon and how can it be proven?

In summary, the Kmin of a nucleon can be calculated using the expression K_{min}\approx 3(hbar)\pi ^{2}/2ma^{2} if a\approx 2R_{0}A^{1/3} and R_{0}=1.07 fm. By plugging in the correct values and converting hbar to the correct units, it can be proven that K_{min}= 133Mev/A^{2/3}.
Jason Gomez

Homework Statement

Kmin of a nucleon is given by the expression

[tex]K_{min}\approx 3(hbar)\pi ^{2}/2ma^{2}[/tex]

if [tex]a\approx 2R_{0}A^{1/3}[/tex]

and [tex]R_{0}=1.07 fm[/tex]

prove that [tex]K_{min}= 133Mev/A^{2/3}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I used [tex]hbar=h/2\pi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

after plugging it all in I get
[tex](3/4)h^{2}/(9.1596\times 10^{-30}m^{2}A^{2/3})[/tex]
I know that h comes in units of Js and eVs, but then I still have seconds in the numerator and m in the denominator .
ps, only hints, I would like to solve on my own

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry but dimensions of your first formula are not correct.

yes, sorry about that. Looking it over I accidentally didn't square the hbar, but my intermediate result came from the correct formula. I am thinking there is another conversion factor that I am not thinking of, but I just can't figure it out.

Related to What is the formula for calculating Kmin of a nucleon and how can it be proven?

1. What is the definition of kinetic energy of a nucleon?

Kinetic energy of a nucleon refers to the energy that a single nucleon (proton or neutron) possesses due to its motion.

2. How is the kinetic energy of a nucleon calculated?

The kinetic energy of a nucleon can be calculated using the equation: KE = 1/2mv², where m is the mass of the nucleon and v is its velocity.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a nucleon?

The kinetic energy of a nucleon is affected by its mass and velocity. A heavier nucleon or a faster moving nucleon will have a higher kinetic energy.

4. How does the kinetic energy of a nucleon relate to nuclear reactions?

In nuclear reactions, the kinetic energy of nucleons can be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or light. This is the principle behind nuclear power and nuclear weapons.

5. Is the kinetic energy of a nucleon constant?

No, the kinetic energy of a nucleon can change depending on its velocity and the forces acting upon it. In nuclear reactions, the kinetic energy of nucleons can vary greatly.