What is the Explanation for the Interference Pattern in Thin Soap Films?

In summary, when green light is shone onto two soap films, the observer will see uniform green on one film (X) and green and black bands on the other film (Y). If air is the medium on either side of the soap film, the best explanation for this pattern is that film X has a consistent thickness throughout, while film Y has variable thickness causing interference patterns. The answer to the given options is either A or B, depending on whether the thickness of film X is much less than the wavelength or half of the wavelength. This is because a thickness much less than the wavelength would result in negligible phase change and therefore, constructive interference, while a thickness of half of the wavelength would result in a phase difference of pi and destructive
EmilyBergendahl

Homework Statement

Green light is shone onto two soap films. An observer looking down at the soap films sees that soap film X appears uniformly green while soap film Y has green and black bands. If air is the medium on either side of the soap film, the best explanation of this pattern is that:

A) film X has a thickness much less than λ and film Y has a thickness of 1/4 λ
B) film X has a thickness of 1/2 λ and film Y has a thickness of 1/4 λ
C) film X has a thickness of 1/4 λ and film Y has a thickness of 1/2 λ
D) film X has consistent thickness throughout whereas film Y has variable thickness
E) film X has variable thickness whereas film Y has consistent thickness throughout

Homework Equations

None given

The Attempt at a Solution

Because film X appears uniformly green, we know that it is of a consistent thickness. Therefore, the answer is not (E). The answer is also not (C), because it would cancel due to destructive interference.

I'm leaning towards either (B) or (D), but I would like clarification on (A)... I don't understand what "much less than λ" means in the context of the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
EmilyBergendahl said:

Homework Statement

Green light is shone onto two soap films. An observer looking down at the soap films sees that soap film X appears uniformly green while soap film Y has green and black bands. If air is the medium on either side of the soap film, the best explanation of this pattern is that:

A) film X has a thickness much less than λ and film Y has a thickness of 1/4 λ
B) film X has a thickness of 1/2 λ and film Y has a thickness of 1/4 λ
C) film X has a thickness of 1/4 λ and film Y has a thickness of 1/2 λ
D) film X has consistent thickness throughout whereas film Y has variable thickness
E) film X has variable thickness whereas film Y has consistent thickness throughout

Homework Equations

None given

The Attempt at a Solution

Because film X appears uniformly green, we know that it is of a consistent thickness. Therefore, the answer is not (E). The answer is also not (C), because it would cancel due to destructive interference.

I'm leaning towards either (B) or (D), but I would like clarification on (A)... I don't understand what "much less than λ" means in the context of the question.
It is the phase difference between the directly reflected light wave and the one reflected from the back surface of the film, that determines if the interference is constructive or destructive. The phase can change π or zero at the interfaces and it changes by (4π/λ)d inside the film, where λ is the wavelength in the film material, and d is the film thickness. If d << λ this phase change is negligible and the interference is determined by the phase changes at the boundaries.

Likes EmilyBergendahl
You can decide between A, B, and D by thinking about how colored and black bands form.

Likes EmilyBergendahl
Okay. Thank you both for your responses! :smile:

ehild said:
It is the phase difference between the directly reflected light wave and the one reflected from the back surface of the film, that determines if the interference is constructive or destructive. The phase can change π or zero at the interfaces and it changes by (4π/λ)d inside the film, where λ is the wavelength in the film material, and d is the film thickness. If d << λ this phase change is negligible and the interference is determined by the phase changes at the boundaries.

I'm still a bit confused about the wording in the problem's answer. If, for example, "much less than λ" was ½λ in this case, wouldn't (A) then produce the same result as (B)?

Simon Bridge said:
You can decide between A, B, and D by thinking about how colored and black bands form.

The bright bands are formed by constructive interference between the light rays reflected from both surfaces, while the dark bands are caused by destructive interference. So, if I graph the waves, (B) interferes constructively and (C) interferes destructively. But wouldn't you need both types of interference to see the bands on the film? I'm having trouble relating my thought process to the solutions presented in the problem.

800px-Optical_flat_interference.svg.png

I'm sorry if I seem a bit slow with this... :sorry: I missed the entire unit at school due to illness, and now I'm trying to teach myself while reviewing for the exam (not a ideal combination by any means). Any clarification at all is greatly appreciated!

EmilyBergendahl said:
Okay. Thank you both for your responses! :smile:
I'm still a bit confused about the wording in the problem's answer. If, for example, "much less than λ" was ½λ in this case, wouldn't (A) then produce the same result as (B)?
½λ is not much less than λ. It is better to consider the thickness about zero.

Likes EmilyBergendahl
ehild said:
½λ is not much less than λ. It is better to consider the thickness about zero.

Okay. So upon graphing the examples again with (A) at nearly zero, it seems that (A) and (B) form almost identical graphs... Should this be happening? I feel like I'm still doing something wrong.

upload_2016-6-20_17-38-33.png

The phase of the incident wave changes by pi upon reflection, while the wave entering into the film has no phase change when reflected from the film-air interface. If the film is very thin, the phase change due to the thickness can be ignored, so the phase difference between the reflected waves is pi. is it constructive or destructive interference?

I think that it is constructive interference.

EmilyBergendahl said:
Okay. So upon graphing the examples again with (A) at nearly zero, it seems that (A) and (B) form almost identical graphs... Should this be happening? I feel like I'm still doing something wrong.
Your graph does not correspond to the situation. You have a film with air on both sides, and not an air layer between glass plates.
When do you get dark and bright bands on the film? Is it possible with a film of homogeneous thickness?

Likes EmilyBergendahl
EmilyBergendahl said:
I think that it is constructive interference.
Why? If the phase difference is pi between two sine function, one has maximum when the other one has minimum, what do you get if adding them?

Likes EmilyBergendahl
Oh, yes, you're right... It should be destructive because they would add to zero/cancel out.

You cannot get bands with a film of homogeneous thickness. We know that Film X is of a consistent thickness because it appears uniformly green to the viewer.

Therefore, if I'm not misunderstanding this, the answer should be (D), because the bands must be produced by a film of inconsistent thickness.

Likes Simon Bridge
EmilyBergendahl said:
Oh, yes, you're right... It should be destructive because they would add to zero/cancel out.

You cannot get bands with a film of homogeneous thickness. We know that Film X is of a consistent thickness because it appears uniformly green to the viewer.

Therefore, if I'm not misunderstanding this, the answer should be (D), because the bands must be produced by a film of inconsistent thickness.
Yes, D is true.

Likes EmilyBergendahl
Great! Thank you for all your help ehild! :biggrin: I feel like I better understand the concepts related to this question now.

Related to What is the Explanation for the Interference Pattern in Thin Soap Films?

What are thin films?

Thin films are layers of material that have a thickness of a few nanometers to a few micrometers. These films are typically deposited onto a substrate using techniques such as physical vapor deposition or chemical vapor deposition.

How do thin films exhibit interference?

Thin films exhibit interference when light waves are reflected from the top and bottom surfaces of the film. This creates a phase difference between the waves, resulting in constructive or destructive interference depending on the thickness of the film and the wavelength of the light.

What is the difference between thin film interference and Newton's rings?

Thin film interference occurs when light reflects from the top and bottom surfaces of a thin film, while Newton's rings occur when light reflects from a curved surface and a flat surface. Additionally, Newton's rings create circular fringes while thin film interference creates parallel fringes.

What are some applications of thin film interference?

Thin film interference is used in a variety of applications, such as anti-reflection coatings on eyeglasses and camera lenses, optical filters, and thin film solar cells. It is also used in the production of holograms and interference filters for scientific research.

How can the thickness of a thin film be determined using interference?

The thickness of a thin film can be determined by measuring the wavelength of the reflected light, the refractive index of the film material, and the angle of incidence of the light. This can be done using equations such as the thin film interference equation or the Airy's equation.