What Is the Explanation for the 2n(n+1) in the FP1 Mark Scheme?

• Thread starter bobbricks
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the second step in the mark scheme for question 10ii, which involves finding the sum of terms in an equation. The conversation explores different methods for solving the equation and eventually references the mark scheme for the correct solution. The key to solving the equation is recognizing that (2n+1) is a constant and can be taken out of the summation, resulting in (n+1) terms of (2n+1) which can then be simplified to (n+1)(2n+1).
bobbricks
Can someone explain the second step in the mark scheme for 10ii? I don't understand where the 2n(n+1) and (n+1) comes from and what the meaning of having r and n terms is when they're both on the left hand side (I'm only used to seeing only r terms on the left hand side with the sigma sign)?

Paper: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdoc...2000/June 2013 - QP/6667_01R_que_20130610.pdf
Mark scheme: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdoc...2000/June 2013 - MS/6667_01R_msc_20130815.pdf

I wrote out the following:
[nΣr=0 (r²-2r+2n+1)] =[nΣr=1(r²-2r+2n+1)] +[0Σr=1(r²-2r+2n+1)]
which leads to (1/6) (n+1)(2n²-5n+12), which cannot be factorised further.
Then I thought, it could be [nΣr=0] (r²-2r+2n+1)] =[nΣr=1(r²-2r] +[0Σr=1(r²-2r]+2(n+1)+n which didn't work either, at which point I looked at the mark scheme.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I take it you accepted (otherwise check here)
$$\sum_{r=0}^n r^3 = {1\over 6} n(n+1)(2n+1) \ \ ;\ \ -2\sum_{r=0}^n r = -2{1\over 2} n(n+1)\ \ ;\ \ \sum_{r=0}^n (2n+1) = (n+1)(2n+1)$$The latter is rewritten as ##2n(n+1) + (n+1)##; then ##-n(n+1) + 2n(n+1) + (n+1) = (n+1)(n+1)##.

Factor out the ##{1\over 6}(n+1)## to get the ##{1\over 6}(n+1) \left \{ 2n^2+n \ + 6(n + 1) \right \}##

[edit] Can't check what went wrong with your "which leads to" unless you spell out how you obtained that.

BvU said:
I take it you accepted (otherwise check here)
$$\sum_{r=0}^n r^3 = {1\over 6} n(n+1)(2n+1) \ \ ;\ \ -2\sum_{r=0}^n r = -2{1\over 2} n(n+1)\ \ ;\ \ \sum_{r=0}^n (2n+1) = (n+1)(2n+1)$$The latter is rewritten as ##2n(n+1) + (n+1)##; then ##-n(n+1) + 2n(n+1) + (n+1) = (n+1)(n+1)##.

Factor out the ##{1\over 6}(n+1)## to get the ##{1\over 6}(n+1) \left \{ 2n^2+n \ + 6(n + 1) \right \}##

[edit] Can't check what went wrong with your "which leads to" unless you spell out how you obtained that.

That's the bit I don't understand- Why does the sum from r=0 to n of (2n+1)=(n+1)(2n+1)? -- I would've thought that [nΣr=0 (2n+1)] =[nΣr=0 (1)] +[nΣr=0(2n)] but then I'm not sure on what to do from there

You can take the (2n+1) out of the summation: ##\sum_{r=0}^n (2n+1) = (2n+1)\,\sum_{r=0}^n1## (the expression to be summed does not depend on ##r##!).

BvU said:
You can take the (2n+1) out of the summation: ##\sum_{r=0}^n (2n+1) = (2n+1)\,\sum_{r=0}^n1## (the expression to be summed does not depend on ##r##!).

So in order to find [nΣr=0 (2n+1)], would you have to do [nΣr=1(2n+1)]+[0Σr=1 (2n+1)] and I would've thought that would become [nΣr=0 (2n+1)]=[n(2n+1)]+[0(2n+1)]..?Also, how do you know (2n+1) is a constant?

You want to sum over r=0 to r = n. The only thing that changes from term to term is r.
Varying r doesn't change 2n+1

Terms are 2n+1, each and every one of them, for r=0 to r=n. So n+1 terms "2n+1". The sum is (n+1)(2n+1).
It is so evident, simple and so close in front of you that it might escape you for that reason only.

[edit] Tip: don't split sum r=0 to n in two unless you have a good reason.

BvU said:
You want to sum over r=0 to r = n. The only thing that changes from term to term is r.
Varying r doesn't change 2n+1

Terms are 2n+1, each and every one of them, for r=0 to r=n. So n+1 terms "2n+1". The sum is (n+1)(2n+1).
It is so evident, simple and so close in front of you that it might escape you for that reason only.

[edit] Tip: don't split sum r=0 to n in two unless you have a good reason.

Ah, I understand thanks :) ..I don't suppose you know where I could find more questions like this one just to see if I do truly know how to do it now since I don't have anything like this in my textbook, and have exams coming up.

Sorry, no. Not at home in that world.
And: good luck with the exams!

BvU said:
Sorry, no. Not at home in that world.
And: good luck with the exams!

Okay, thanks for the help though :)

Related to What Is the Explanation for the 2n(n+1) in the FP1 Mark Scheme?

What is summation/series?

Summation/series is a mathematical concept that involves finding the total of a sequence of numbers. It is often used in calculus and other branches of mathematics to represent infinite sums.

What is the difference between a finite and infinite series?

A finite series has a limited number of terms, while an infinite series has an unlimited number of terms. This means that a finite series will eventually end and have a final sum, while an infinite series will continue on indefinitely.

What is the formula for finding the sum of an arithmetic series?

The formula for finding the sum of an arithmetic series is Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where Sn is the sum, n is the number of terms, a1 is the first term, and an is the last term.

How do I determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

A series is convergent if its terms approach a finite value as the number of terms approaches infinity. It is divergent if its terms do not approach a finite value and the series continues to increase or decrease without bound.

What are some common techniques for evaluating series?

Some common techniques for evaluating series include using geometric or telescoping series, using the ratio or root test, and using the integral test. Other methods include using partial fractions, manipulating the series into a known form, and using mathematical identities.