What is the expected value of attempting a field goal?

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion over the percentages of 90% and 35% not adding up to 100%. It is clarified that these percentages are related to the probability of scoring a field goal, and the question is about finding the expected value of attempting a field goal. The expected value is calculated to be 2.7 points, taking into account the 90% probability of success and the 3-point value of a field goal.
Coder74
Hello everyone!
I'm confused because 90% and 35% obviously do not add up to 100%
and as a result I'm really flustered! :C I appreciate the help and efforts of everyone on this website! :D
View attachment 6056

Attachments

• Confused.JPG
    Confused.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 59
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Coder74 said:
Hello everyone!
I'm confused because 90% and 35% obviously do not add up to 100%
and as a result I'm really flustered! :C I appreciate the help and efforts of everyone on this website! :D

Hi Coder74!

Indeed, those do not add up to 100%.
I can only assume we have 90% chance to score a field goal and 10% chance to score nothing at all.
... unless we set our objective to a touchdown...

The question is "find the expected value of a field goal" (I would have said "the expected value of attempting a field goal") which means the probability of a touch down is irrelevant. A field goal has value 3 points and the probability of success is 0.9 so the "expected value" of attempting a field goal is (3)(0.9)= 2.7 points.

Related to What is the expected value of attempting a field goal?

What is expected value?

Expected value is a mathematical concept that represents the average outcome of a probability distribution. It is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its corresponding probability and summing all of these products together.

Why is expected value important?

Expected value is important because it helps us make decisions based on probabilities. By calculating the expected value, we can determine the most likely outcome of a situation and make informed choices.

How do you find expected value?

To find expected value, multiply each possible outcome by its corresponding probability and then sum all of these products together. The formula for expected value is: E(x) = Σ(x * P(x)), where x represents the possible outcomes and P(x) represents the corresponding probabilities.

What is the difference between expected value and actual value?

Expected value is a theoretical calculation based on probabilities, while actual value is the real outcome of a situation. Expected value helps us make predictions, while actual value tells us what actually happened.

Can expected value be negative?

Yes, expected value can be negative. This means that the potential outcomes have a greater chance of resulting in a loss rather than a gain. It is important to consider both positive and negative expected values when making decisions.