What is the equivalent resistance and current in this parallel circuit?

In summary, the equivalent resistance of the network outside the battery is ((R2 || R4) + R3) || R1 and the current in resistor R2 is 5 Ampere.
jackxxny

Homework Statement

I need to find the equivalent resistance of the network outside the battery, and the current in resistor R2. the picture of my circuit is attached.

R1= 10 ohms
R2 = 6 ohms
R3 = 5 ohms
R4 = 30 ohms

Homework Equations

series Req= R1+R2...
parallel 1/Req= 1/R1+1/R2...

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a lot of trouble sseing this picture. i think is this:

R2-4 = 36 ohms
R1-3 = 1/(.3)= 3.333 ohms
Req= 36 + 3.33 = 39.333 ohms

is it right how i split them?

and would it the current trough resistor 2 just be:

V=IR 30/6 = 5 Ampere

?

Attachments

• HELP.jpg
    HELP.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 342
Physics news on Phys.org
So you have R2 + R4 + (R1 || R3) = 39.333 ?
(I can't see your picture as yet.)

What is the voltage across the whole thing?

when i broke it down in parallel and series, I'm not quite sure if i can assume that R1 and R3 are in parallel. Then i put togheter R4 and R2 as in series and plus R13 in series too..
but i don't know if i can do that.

jackxxny said:
when i broke it down in parallel and series, I'm not quite sure if i can assume that R1 and R3 are in parallel. Then i put togheter R4 and R2 as in series and plus R13 in series too..
but i don't know if i can do that.

Well, since I can't see the picture I'll have to wait. If you don't know whether you can, that is if it is not obviously that way, then ... we'll wait.

What's worng with the picture?

Attachments

• HELP.bmp
    43.6 KB · Views: 436
jackxxny said:
What's worng with the picture?

It's the part that says:
Attachments Pending Approval

so does that mean that my picture is getting approve from someone??
how long does it take?

jackxxny said:
so does that mean that my picture is getting approve from someone??
how long does it take?

The picture is viewable now. Just depends on when someone gets around to approving it. Imageshack is an alternative way to get a jpg up a little faster.

Looking at your topography, consider redrawing and seeing if you don't find that you have :

((R2 || R4) + R3) || R1

Well, it's approved now.
Imagine an electron traveling from the right side of the battery to the left side. At first, it can either go through R1 or the branch containing R3 (not R3 itself), so R1 is in parallel with the branch containing R3.

What's the resistance of the branch containing R3? Remember that if the electron passes through this branch, it must pass R3, but after that, it has a choice between R2 and R4. In other words, R2 and R4 are in parallel; R3 is in series.

Related to What is the equivalent resistance and current in this parallel circuit?

What is equivalent resistance?

Equivalent resistance is the combined resistance of multiple resistors in a circuit. It is the single resistance value that would produce the same overall current flow as the individual resistors together.

How is equivalent resistance calculated?

To calculate equivalent resistance, resistors in series can be added together, while resistors in parallel can be calculated using the formula 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where R represents the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, etc. represent the individual resistances.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the resistors are connected one after another, so the same current flows through each resistor. In a parallel circuit, the resistors are connected side by side, so the total current is divided among the resistors.

Why is equivalent resistance important?

Equivalent resistance is important because it allows us to simplify complex circuits and make calculations easier. It also helps us understand how resistors impact the overall current flow in a circuit.

How does equivalent resistance affect the brightness of a lightbulb in a circuit?

Equivalent resistance affects the brightness of a lightbulb by controlling the amount of current flowing through it. The higher the equivalent resistance, the lower the current and the dimmer the bulb will be, and vice versa.