What is the equation for finding the change in gravitational potential energy of a 64.5-kg astronaut in orbit?

In summary, the change in gravitational potential energy of a 64.5-kg astronaut, lifted from Earth’s surface into a circular orbit of altitude 4.40 3 102 km is -0.5Gm/r2.
justinh8

Homework Statement

What is the change in gravitational potential energy of a 64.5-kg astronaut, lifted from
Earth’s surface into a circular orbit of altitude 4.40 3 102 km?

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, i know to find this i have to find the gravitational energy on Earth using Earth's radius and find the gravitational energy in orbit using the Earth's radius + the altitude. Therefore, the equation at Earth would be Eg = -GMm/re and the equation in orbit would be
Eg = -0.5(GMm/re + altitude).

However, in the solutions manual it uses the same equation Eg = -GMm/re when the object is in orbit.
I just want to know if the book is wrong or if i am wrong. I thought that when objects are in orbit you have to play in the value of kinetic energy which creates the equation of Eg = -0.5(GMm/re + altitude). Please explain

Physics news on Phys.org
justinh8 said:
... and the equation in orbit would be
Eg = -0.5(GMm/re + altitude).
Is Eg the total energy or the potential energy?
However, in the solutions manual it uses the same equation Eg = -GMm/re when the object is in orbit.
I just want to know if the book is wrong or if i am wrong. I thought that when objects are in orbit you have to play in the value of kinetic energy which creates the equation of Eg = -0.5(GMm/re + altitude). Please explain
Why would kinetic energy affect potential energy? Potential energy is a function of r (distance from the centre of the earth) only. It looks like you may be confusing total energy with potential energy.

AM

Ok, so the formula of -0.5(GMm/re + altitude) is for the total energy?

justinh8 said:
Ok, so the formula of -0.5(GMm/re + altitude) is for the total energy?

This is correct, for something in a stable orbit. You would lose the factor of 1/2 if you just wanted the contribution from gravitational potential energy.

So when it asks for just the gravitational potential energy, i use Eg = -GMm/r ?

and also, does binding energy = -0.5(Gmm/r) or 0.5(Gmm/r)?

justinh8 said:
So when it asks for just the gravitational potential energy, i use Eg = -GMm/r ?
Correct. But I would suggest you use PE or U to distinguish it from total energy. This is the potential energy relative to r = ∞.

justinh8 said:
and also, does binding energy = -0.5(Gmm/r) or 0.5(Gmm/r)?
Binding energy is the work that must be done on an object of mass m to get it from R = r to R = ∞. It is positive.

AM

Related to What is the equation for finding the change in gravitational potential energy of a 64.5-kg astronaut in orbit?

1. What is the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is the attractive force between two objects with mass. It is responsible for keeping objects in orbit around larger objects, such as planets orbiting around the sun.

2. How is the force of gravity calculated?

The force of gravity between two objects is calculated using the formula F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between their centers of mass.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

4. How does the force of gravity change with distance?

The force of gravity decreases with distance according to the inverse square law. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the force of gravity between them decreases exponentially.

5. Can the force of gravity be canceled out?

No, the force of gravity cannot be canceled out completely. However, it can be counteracted by other forces, such as the normal force or friction, resulting in an object appearing to have a weight of zero.