What is the energy loss of damped oscillator

In summary: But if you are looking for the total energy loss, then your approach of taking the derivative and plugging it into the kinetic energy formula is reasonable, assuming your calculations are correct. In summary, when solving for the energy loss of a damped oscillator, one can take the derivative of the equation of motion and plug its amplitude into the kinetic energy formula to find the total energy loss between two points in time. This approach may be used for both undamped and damped oscillators, but it should be noted that over-damped oscillators will never pass the equilibrium point. It should also be noted that the term "energy loss" can be interpreted in different ways, so it is important to be clear in the problem statement.
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

what is the energy loss of the damped oscillator.

Homework Equations

x(t) = A*e^(-Bt)*cos(w1*t)
T = 1/2 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve for an undamped oscillator, I took the derivative of the equation of motion x(t) and plugged the amplitude into 1/2 mv^2 equation and that worked. Now a damping effect has been added. I want to do the same thing. Take the derivative of the equation above and plug its amplitude into the kinetic energy formula. Subtract to get the energy loss. I did this and I received my answer, but I can't tell if it is reasonable.
if my mass is on a spring and I pull it back and let it go, its max velocity will be at pi/2. so when I take my derivative and I get a dx/dt = sine + cosine both multiplied by constants. the cosine term will be zero and the sine term will be 1*maxvelocity. which I can plug into my kinetic energy formula. and then subtract to get the energy loss

Is this a reasonable approach? I couldn't find anything about this, so I am nervous.

Physics news on Phys.org
The undamped oscillator does not lose energy, it just alternates between containing its energy as potential and kinetic. Your question is also not very precise and it is not clear what you are after, you should make sure to pose the question word by word as it was formulated in your problem. When you write your solution, it also helps a lot if you do not just describe it in words but show us your actual computations.

Orodruin said:
The undamped oscillator does not lose energy, it just alternates between containing its energy as potential and kinetic.
obviously, but my question was about damped oscillations, not undamped.

Your question is also not very precise and it is not clear what you are after, you should make sure to pose the question word by word as it was formulated in your problem. When you write your solution, it also helps a lot if you do not just describe it in words but show us your actual computations.

No additional information should be necessary. I apologize if it is, but this is all I can give you.or how about this? derive a formula to solve for kinetic energy of a damped oscillator if you know w, B, A, and t.
I have a formula for motion of a damped oscillator (see above). can I plug the first derivative of that equation into the kinetic energy formula and receive the correct kinetic energy at any point in time t?

Last edited:
grandpa2390 said:
obviously, but my question was about damped oscillations, not undamped.

Yet you were using the undamped oscillator in your solution.

grandpa2390 said:
No additional information should be necessary. I apologize if it is, but this is all I have. I have a formula for motion of a damped oscillator (see above). can I plug the first derivative of that equation into the kinetic energy formula and receive the correct kinetic energy at any point in time t?

For example, "Energy loss" is ambiguous. It could be taken to mean either the rate of energy loss or the total energy loss.

Regarding the kinetic energy: Yes. The kinetic energy is mv^2/2 and v is the time derivative of the position. In your case, you have written down an under-damped oscillator, which swings back and forth. You can compute the energy loss between two passages of the equilibrium point by computing the kinetic energy there as you have done. In general, oscillators may be critically or over damped. In such a situation, it will never pass the equilibrium point.

Orodruin said:
Yet you were using the undamped oscillator in your solution.
yes because if you read my post, you see that I did in fact mention that the problem originally was undamped, and therefore required an undamped solution. then a damping effect was added, and now I am trying to solve for kinetic energy with the added damping effect

surely you know how these problems work. you start off with an oscillator and solve it as if it were undamped, then you solve it again as if it has a damping effect.
For example, "Energy loss" is ambiguous. It could be taken to mean either the rate of energy loss or the total energy loss.
total energy loss because I am analyzing between two points in time.
Regarding the kinetic energy: Yes. The kinetic energy is mv^2/2 and v is the time derivative of the position. In your case, you have written down an under-damped oscillator, which swings back and forth. You can compute the energy loss between two passages of the equilibrium point by computing the kinetic energy there as you have done. In general, oscillators may be critically or over damped. In such a situation, it will never pass the equilibrium point.
thankyou

grandpa2390 said:
total energy loss because I am analyzing between two points in time

Yes, this is why I noted that your original problem statement is ambiguous. My interpretation of "energy loss" would be the rate of energy loss, not the total energy loss.

Related to What is the energy loss of damped oscillator

1. What is a damped oscillator?

A damped oscillator is a physical system that exhibits periodic motion that decreases in amplitude over time due to the dissipation of energy. This can be caused by external forces, such as friction or air resistance, or internal forces, such as material properties.

2. How is energy lost in a damped oscillator?

Energy is lost in a damped oscillator through various mechanisms, such as friction, air resistance, and material properties. These forces act against the motion of the oscillator, causing it to lose energy and decrease in amplitude over time.

3. What is the energy loss of a damped oscillator?

The energy loss of a damped oscillator refers to the amount of energy that is dissipated from the system over time. This can be quantified using mathematical equations and is dependent on the specific damping mechanisms present in the system.

4. How does damping affect the energy loss of a damped oscillator?

The amount of damping present in a system directly affects the energy loss of a damped oscillator. Higher levels of damping result in greater energy loss, as more energy is dissipated from the system through friction and other forces.

5. Can the energy loss of a damped oscillator be minimized?

In some cases, the energy loss of a damped oscillator can be minimized by reducing the amount of damping present in the system. This can be achieved through careful design and selection of materials, as well as minimizing external forces acting on the system.