What is the electric field in a thin slab with uniform charge distribution?

In summary: Correct.Just like in the formula for the field from an infinite sheet of charge. The field is independent of distance.In summary, the electric field within a uniformly charged slab of thickness d is given by E = (ρ)(x) / ε0, where ρ is the charge density and x is the distance from the center of the slab. This formula applies for distances |x| < d/2, while for distances |x| > d/2, the electric field is given by E = ρ(d/2)/ε0. This can be derived using Gauss's law and considering a Gaussian pill box surface. At the center of the slab, the electric field is zero.
SherlockOhms

Homework Statement

4.10.4 Thin Slab
Let some charge be uniformly distributed throughout the volume of a large planar slab of plastic of thickness d. The charge density is ρ. The mid-plane of the slab is the y-z plane.
(a) What is the electric field at a distance from the mid-plane when |x| < d/2?
(b) What is the electric field at a distance from the mid-plane when |x| > d/2?
[Hint: put part of your Gaussian surface where the electric field is zero.]

Homework Equations

E = σ/2ε0.

The Attempt at a Solution

So in vector form the electric field will be negative in the - x direction and positive in the +x direction. This isn't a homework assignment. They're course notes with sample problems. I don't really have any ideas how to go about this so any hints would be great like.

Physics news on Phys.org
DAPOS said:
So in vector form the electric field will be negative in the - x direction and positive in the +x direction.
Yes. Assuming the charge is positive.

Use the hint provided to choose a Gaussian surface.

Doc Al said:
Yes. Assuming the charge is positive.

Use the hint provided to choose a Gaussian surface.

Thanks. Yeah, I chose the surface to be a pill box. I'm just not sure how to make the Electric field a function of x though. I've worked through one asking you to calculate the electric field everywhere in space which seems to be a lot easier. Any suggestions on how to make E = σ/2ε0 a function of the distance form the centre,x? I think the Electric field at the centre is 0, is that correct?

DAPOS said:
Yeah, I chose the surface to be a pill box. I'm just not sure how to make the Electric field a function of x though.
Use Gauss's law! (When you are within the slab, the total charge within your pillbox will be a function of x.)
Any suggestions on how to make E = σ/2ε0 a function of the distance form the centre,x?
That's the formula for the field outside an infinitely large charged disk. Forget it. You'll derive your own formula using Gauss's law.
I think the Electric field at the centre is 0, is that correct?
Right! So that's one surface of your Gaussian pill box.

Thanks. So, this is what I've derived...
Beginning with these equations:
ρ = Q / V.
qen / ε0 = ∫E.dA

The upper surface of the pill box i.e. the circular part has an area A. So ρ = Q/ A(x) where x is the distance from the centre. ∫E.dA = EA. EA = ρ (A)(x) / ε0
The A's the cancel and you get E = (ρ)(x) / ε0 which is a function of x. I think this is right anyway.

Could you tell me where d/2 comes into the calculation? I don't think I fully understand |x| < d/2 and |x| > -d/2. Thanks!

DAPOS said:
Thanks. So, this is what I've derived...
Beginning with these equations:
ρ = Q / V.
qen / ε0 = ∫E.dA

The upper surface of the pill box i.e. the circular part has an area A. So ρ = Q/ A(x) where x is the distance from the centre. ∫E.dA = EA. EA = ρ (A)(x) / ε0
The A's the cancel and you get E = (ρ)(x) / ε0 which is a function of x. I think this is right anyway.
Looks good to me.

Could you tell me where d/2 comes into the calculation? I don't think I fully understand |x| < d/2 and |x| > -d/2.
Within the slab versus outside the slab. Once you're outside the slab, the enclosed charge remains constant with increasing x.

Doc Al said:
Within the slab versus outside the slab. Once you're outside the slab, the enclosed charge remains constant with increasing x.
So I just calculate the Electric field from the centre to d/s and then seperately calculate the electric field from d/2 to x? Not sure if I understood what you meant. Sorry for the hassle man!

DAPOS said:
So I just calculate the Electric field from the centre to d/s and then seperately calculate the electric field from d/2 to x?
You have found the field from the center to d/2 (when x < d/2). Now use the same approach (Gauss's law) to find the field when x > d/2. Hint: What's the total charge enclosed within the pill box when x > d/2?

Doc Al said:
You have found the field from the center to d/2 (when x < d/2). Now use the same approach (Gauss's law) to find the field when x > d/2. Hint: What's the total charge enclosed within the pill box when x > d/2?

I would've said it was E = ρ(d/2) / ε0 + ρ(x - d/2) / ε0 for the total flux contained inside the pill box from x = 0 to x > d/2 but I don't know. Ugh! I'm so confused!

The above is the same as E = ρ(x) / ε0 so that's not right. That was silly.

Why isn't it just E = ρ(x) / ε0 again except with x > d/2?

DAPOS said:
I would've said it was E = ρ(d/2) / ε0 + ρ(x - d/2) / ε0 for the total flux contained inside the pill box from x = 0 to x > d/2 but I don't know. Ugh! I'm so confused!
Hint: The charge only goes to d/2. So when x > d/2, what's the volume of the charge contained in your Gaussian pill box?

Doc Al said:
Hint: The charge only goes to d/2. So when x > d/2, what's the volume of the charge contained in your Gaussian pill box?

The volume will be (d/2)(A).
So ρ = qen / (d)(A)/2 => ρdA / 2 = enclosed charge.
So won't E = ρd/2ε0?

DAPOS said:
The volume will be (d/2)(A).
So ρ = qen / (d)(A)/2 => ρdA / 2 = enclosed charge.
So won't E = ρd/2ε0?
Good!

Doc Al said:
So, x doesn't even come into the equation for part b?
Thanks. Sorry that you had to spell it out for me!

Am I right in saying that so?

DAPOS said:
So, x doesn't even come into the equation for part b?
Correct.

Just like in the formula for the field from an infinite sheet of charge. The field is independent of distance.

Related to What is the electric field in a thin slab with uniform charge distribution?

What is a thin slab?

A thin slab is a type of material that has a small thickness compared to its length and width. It can be made from various materials such as metal, plastic, or glass. Thin slabs are commonly used in scientific experiments and industrial processes.

What is a Gaussian pill box?

A Gaussian pill box is a shape that is used in scientific calculations and simulations. It is a three-dimensional shape that is created by connecting the points on a two-dimensional Gaussian curve. It is commonly used to model electric fields and magnetic fields.

How is a thin slab used in conjunction with a Gaussian pill box?

A thin slab is often placed inside a Gaussian pill box for scientific experiments. The thin slab serves as a sample or medium for the experiment, while the Gaussian pill box helps to create a uniform electric or magnetic field around the sample. This allows for more accurate and controlled measurements.

What are the advantages of using a thin slab and Gaussian pill box in experiments?

Using a thin slab and Gaussian pill box can provide several advantages in scientific experiments. These include creating a uniform electric or magnetic field, precise measurement of the properties of the sample, and easy manipulation of the experiment conditions.

Are there any limitations to using a thin slab and Gaussian pill box in experiments?

There are some limitations to using a thin slab and Gaussian pill box in experiments. These include the size and shape of the sample that can be used, as well as the accuracy of the Gaussian pill box in creating a uniform field. Additionally, the materials used in the thin slab may also affect the accuracy of the experiment results.