What is the Electric Field at Two Points?

In summary, the electric field at the point x3 = -35 cm, y3 = 80 cm due to a 90 μC point charge at the origin is -4.2*10^5 N/C in the x-direction and -9.7*10^5 N/C in the y-direction, with the x-component being negative. This is determined by using the equation E = kQ/r^2 and finding the cosine of the angle of r to the x-axis, which is -0.4 in this case. The final answer is expressed with two significant figures.
jlmccart03

Homework Statement

A 90 μC point charge is at the origin.
Find the electric field at the point x3 = -35 cm , y3 = 80 cm .
Express your answers using two significant figures. Enter the x and y components of the electric field separated by a comma.

Homework Equations

E = kQ/r^2
magnitude * cos/sin of theta

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found the Etot to be 1.06*106 N/C and from there I drew a picture and found each component by using sin and cos of theta so I get Ex = 1.06*106*cos(.35/.7625) and 1.06*106*cos(.8/.7625) for the Ey. This is wrong however. So what steps am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you arrive at the cos and sin arguments? I don't see where you've accounted for the sign of the x3 value in your component calculations; do you expect the field vector to have two positive components? What does a look at your sketch of the scenario suggest? (you did make a sketch first, right?)

gneill said:
How did you arrive at the cos and sin arguments? I don't see where you've accounted for the sign of the x3 value in your component calculations; do you expect the field vector to have two positive components? What does a look at your sketch of the scenario suggest? (you did make a sketch first, right?)
This is all my work. I found the total E field magnitude, but I need it in components. So originally I just did it in components with each x and y value. This I realized is wrong. Both x and y contribute to the total r in the E field equation for a point charge. I then decided ok, I have magnitude, but need components not net. I then thought that I could simply take the magnitude E and multiply by the corresponding angle using sin or cos. Is sin or cos not even used?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 623
jlmccart03 said:
This is all my work. I found the total E field magnitude, but I need it in components. So originally I just did it in components with each x and y value. This I realized is wrong. Both x and y contribute to the total r in the E field equation for a point charge. I then decided ok, I have magnitude, but need components not net. I then thought that I could simply take the magnitude E and multiply by the corresponding angle using sin or cos. Is sin or cos not even used?
You seem to have a basic misunderstanding of trigonometry.
The sine and cosine are functions of the angle, but the angle is not the ratio between the two distances.
In fact, you do not need to find the angle, since you have the distances and the sine and cosine values come directly from their ratios.
For the x component, the cosine of the angle of r to the x-axis is just the x distance divided by r.
(Where did you get 0.7625 from? r must be more than 0.8.)

haruspex said:
You seem to have a basic misunderstanding of trigonometry.
The sine and cosine are functions of the angle, but the angle is not the ratio between the two distances.
In fact, you do not need to find the angle, since you have the distances and the sine and cosine values come directly from their ratios.
For the x component, the cosine of the angle of r to the x-axis is just the x distance divided by r.
(Where did you get 0.7625 from? r must be more than 0.8.)
0.7625 is r. I just did (0.352+0.82) and then took the square root of that which gave 0.7625. So its cos(.35/r) for x?

jlmccart03 said:
then took the square root
No, it looks like you forgot to do that. Look at the triangle. How could r be less than y?
jlmccart03 said:
So its cos(.35/r) for x
No. If θ is the angle r makes to the x-axis then cos(θ)=.35/r.

haruspex said:
No, it looks like you forgot to do that. Look at the triangle. How could r be less than y?

No. If θ is the angle r makes to the x-axis then cos(θ)=.35/r.
I see so r is 0.8732 and cos(θ)=.35/.8732 = .400819. Then multiply by E to get x-component?

jlmccart03 said:
I see so r is 0.8732 and cos(θ)=.35/.8732 = .400819. Then multiply by E to get x-component?
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.
Ok so I get for the x-component 4.3*105 N/C and for the y-component I get 9.7*105 N?C. I am asking since I only have one attempt left. I took the 1.06*106 * (0.35/0.8732) for the x-component and 1.06*106 * (0.80/0.8732) to get the two above numbers.

jlmccart03 said:
Ok so I get for the x-component 4.3*105 N/C and for the y-component I get 9.7*105 N?C. I am asking since I only have one attempt left. I took the 1.06*106 * (0.35/0.8732) for the x-component and 1.06*106 * (0.80/0.8732) to get the two above numbers.
That's essentially correct, but I make the x component just under 4.25, so closer to 4.2 than 4.3. Not sure how accurate you need to be. I recommend you run the calculations again keeping one more digit of accuracy until the end. I can believe your 4.3 is right and I am wrong.

jlmccart03 said:
What is the correct sign of Ex?

Likes haruspex
ehild said:
What is the correct sign of Ex?
It is negative. Thanks for the help everyone!

Related to What is the Electric Field at Two Points?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that represents the influence of an electric charge on other charges in its vicinity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is measured in units of Newtons per Coulomb (N/C).

2. How is the electric field at two points calculated?

The electric field at a point is calculated by taking the product of the the charge at that point and the inverse square of the distance between the two points. This is known as Coulomb's law and can be represented by the equation E = k*q/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance between the two points.

3. What is the relationship between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field and electric potential are closely related, as electric potential is the work required to move a unit charge from one point to another in an electric field. In other words, the electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge. The direction of the electric field is always perpendicular to the equipotential lines (lines of equal electric potential).

4. Can the electric field at two points be the same?

Yes, the electric field at two points can be the same if the charges and distances between the two points are identical. In this case, the electric field would have the same magnitude and direction at both points.

5. How does the electric field at two points change with distance?

The electric field at two points is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two points. This means that as the distance between two points increases, the electric field at those points decreases. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the electric field increases.