What is the Efficiency of a Carnot Air Conditioner?

In summary, the Coefficient of Performance for a Carnot reverse heat pump is 1 / ((Th / TL) - 1). The higher temperature, Th, is compared to the lower temperature, TL, to determine the COP.
azure kitsune

Homework Statement

A Carnot air conditioner takes energy from the thermal energy of a room at 70 degrees F and transfers it to the outdoors, which is at 96 degrees F. For each joule of electric energy required to operate the air conditioner, how many joules are removed from the room?

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{Q_C}{Q_H} = \frac{T_C}{T_H}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I substituted W + QC for QH. Then I plugged in

W = 1,
TC = (70-32) * 4/5+273,
TH = (96-32) * 4/5+273

and solved for QC.

I get QC = 20.3 J, but the answer in the back is rounded 21 J. When I read the problem, I thought the question was asking for QC. Should the 1 J or work be included in the amount of joules being removed from the room?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

A Carnot cycle operating as a reverse heat pump (i.e. air conditioner) has a Coefficient of Performance (COP) this is similar to an efficiency but since it's value can be greater than 1 so it has the alternative name Coefficient of Performance. The COP can be defined as the ratio of the heat extracted from a low temperature source to the work done to accomplish that extraction.

For this application the COP can be calculated as

COP = 1 / ((Th / TL) - 1)

where Th is the higher temperature and TL is the lower temperature.

Then you can use this relation

COP = QL / W

Does that help you out?

Thanks
Matt

Hi Matt, thanks for your reply. I tried to use the equations you gave for COP, but I still end up with QL = 20.3 J.

Maybe just a typ in the book?

That's possible, but I think I may be understanding the problem incorrectly. Maybe the 1 J of work done by the machine is also included in the "joules" that "are removed from the room." (in which case the problem would be asking for QH)

Related to What is the Efficiency of a Carnot Air Conditioner?

What is a Carnot air conditioner?

A Carnot air conditioner is a type of air conditioning unit that operates based on the principles of the Carnot cycle, a thermodynamic cycle that involves the transfer of heat between two reservoirs at different temperatures.

How does a Carnot air conditioner work?

A Carnot air conditioner uses a compressor to compress a refrigerant gas, which then travels through a condenser where it releases heat to the outside air. The cooled refrigerant then passes through an expansion valve, which causes it to expand and cool even further. Finally, the refrigerant travels through an evaporator where it absorbs heat from the indoor air, cooling it down before being cycled back to the compressor.

What are the advantages of a Carnot air conditioner?

One advantage of a Carnot air conditioner is its high efficiency. Because it operates based on the Carnot cycle, which is a reversible process, it is able to achieve the highest possible efficiency for an air conditioning unit. Additionally, it does not use any harmful chemicals, making it environmentally friendly.

What are the limitations of a Carnot air conditioner?

The main limitation of a Carnot air conditioner is its high cost. The technology and components used in a Carnot air conditioner can be expensive, making it less accessible for some consumers. It also requires a significant amount of energy to operate, which can lead to higher electricity bills.

Is a Carnot air conditioner suitable for all climates?

No, a Carnot air conditioner is not suitable for all climates. It works best in moderate climates where there is a significant difference between indoor and outdoor temperatures. In extremely hot or cold climates, a Carnot air conditioner may struggle to maintain a comfortable indoor temperature.