What is the Effect of Normal Lines on Glass Surfaces?

In summary, the conversation discussed an experiment in which the speaker tested the line of sight on a window by placing their finger at different points and observing the position of a nearby object. The results showed that all four points on the window pointed to the same location, leading to a discussion about the concept of line of sight and the accuracy of the methodology used. The speaker expressed a desire for an explanation on their findings.
ExperimentingStudent
I am a degree student and .. A loner. During my free time, I usually try to observe my surrounding more, you know... :\
Here's the experiment I did (I saved it in my note app, copied it directly from there):

A certain window has a point of view (not referring to the meaning where point of view means opinion)
Just perform these steps:

1. Place your index finger on the window, PERPENDICULAR to the window surface.
2. Then position your head just behind your finger which is perpendicular to the window.
3. Now watch from that view (exactly from the straight view of your index finger)
4. Note (or remember) the place to which your Index finger points to.
5. Repeat the above 4 steps by placing your index finger on different points on the same window.

I would appreciate anyone's explanation based on my (or if you performed this then yours) explanation.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to tell us what it is that needs explaining.

We have the method, but not the results nor conclusions. (We'll ignore the object!)

Explanation of what? You haven't told us what you've observed so that we know what to look for.

Sorry, I guess the correct term I should have used was "line of sight". Would have made this a bit more understandable maybe.
Anyway, let me explain this more.

I chose 4 points on any window in my house.

The first image (edit: *re-uploaded* this is last image now, please return to the starting image right after the very last one) indicates the 4 points on the window I chose to perform this small experiment.
The order of following 4 images are:
The digits above is the order of the points I placed my finger on.

Okay now,
Observe the next four images after the very first one (in which the points are indicated).

The only thing you have to look carefully at is the white lamp post position which is almost same for all the four points on the window.

Image '1' :
My finger points to the bottom of the lamp post (quite near to it).

Image '2' :
(Almost similar to the previous image)

Image '3':
Here, my finger points to the top of that lamp post. This spot is quite close to the ones I shown in the previous two images.

Image '4':
Again finger points to the spot nearly close to the ones in images 1 and 2.

Conclusion is all the four points, no matter on which spot on the window I chose them, they all were pointing to the exact one location.

Is this something related to the concept 'line of sight'?

I have already provided the procedure for this experiment for you to test.
Make sure when you are pointing in the perpendicular direction, fix the position of any object you are pointing to or any object which is very very close the spot where your finger is pointing to.

I admit this must be a really different (and sort of weird) topic you all may have never seen on this forum. I wanted some place or someone to tell me answer to my small question (that I have stated above).

I hope I have made myself clear. Please do ask if you want me to show you something more related to this topic.

Attachments

• IMG_20160316_162002.jpg
    IMG_20160316_162002.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_20160316_163817.JPG
    IMG_20160316_163817.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_20160316_162130.jpg
    IMG_20160316_162130.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_20160316_162241.jpg
    IMG_20160316_162241.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_20160316_161515.jpg
    IMG_20160316_161515.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 378
ExperimentingStudent said:
Conclusion is all the four points, no matter on which spot on the window I chose them, they all were pointing to the exact one location.
The normals to the glass are parallel. They point in the same direction, not to same point. Your methodology is not accurate enough to pick up the difference.

Related to What is the Effect of Normal Lines on Glass Surfaces?

What materials are needed for the experiment?

The materials needed for the experiment will depend on the specific experiment you are trying. Generally, you will need household items such as water, containers, food coloring, vinegar, baking soda, etc. Make sure to read the instructions carefully to gather all the necessary materials.

Is the experiment safe to do at home?

It is important to always follow safety precautions when conducting an experiment at home. Make sure to read the instructions carefully and wear protective gear if necessary. If you have any concerns, it is best to consult with an adult or a professional before attempting the experiment.

What is the purpose of the experiment?

The purpose of the experiment will vary depending on what you are trying to demonstrate or learn. It could be to test a hypothesis, observe a reaction, or understand a scientific concept. Make sure to have a clear understanding of the purpose before starting the experiment.

Can the experiment be modified or adjusted?

Yes, most home experiments can be modified or adjusted to fit your specific interests or needs. You can change the materials, quantities, or procedures to see how it affects the outcome. Just make sure to keep track of any modifications you make and note the results.

What should I do with the leftover materials after the experiment?

It is important to properly dispose of any leftover materials after the experiment. Follow the instructions provided or consult with an adult to ensure safe disposal. You can also consider reusing or recycling materials if possible.