What is the effect of friction on the orbit of a satellite?

In summary: I'm not sure...?Oh, I see, I think I have to use \Delta E = W. So then \frac{-GmM}{2r_{i}} = \frac{-GmM}{2r_{f}} + 2r_{i}f\pi(r_{f}-r_{i}) = 2r_{i}^3f\piGmM. Thanks! Sorry for all the trouble.Um, I thought that the potential energy will be less than the initial energy (because the done by friction will actually go into the increase in kinetic energy?) and I thought the final radius will be smaller than the initial radius...? ... sorry,
bodensee9

Homework Statement

A satellite of mass m is orbiting the earth. The radius of the orbit is [tex]r_{0}[/tex] and the mass of Earth is [tex]M_{e}[/tex].

a. Find total mechanical energy.
b. Now suppose that satellite encounters constant frictional force f which retards its motion. The satellite will spiral to the earth. Assume the radius changes so slowly that you can treat the satellite as being in circular orbit of average radius r. Find approximate change in radius per revolution of satellite.

I found the first a. I think it's -[tex]\frac{GmM_{e}}{r_{0}}[/tex].
But then for part b, I assume that the frictional force is in the direction of its velocity. And so, I think I have [tex]\frac{\partial^2\theta}{dt^2}[/tex] = f. But then I am not sure what to do after that? I also know that the work done by f is equal to the change in energy? Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Um, I meant d^2theta/dt^2 = f. BUt somehow Latex came out the other way.

Hi bodensee9,

bodensee9 said:

Homework Statement

A satellite of mass m is orbiting the earth. The radius of the orbit is [tex]r_{0}[/tex] and the mass of Earth is [tex]M_{e}[/tex].

a. Find total mechanical energy.
b. Now suppose that satellite encounters constant frictional force f which retards its motion. The satellite will spiral to the earth. Assume the radius changes so slowly that you can treat the satellite as being in circular orbit of average radius r. Find approximate change in radius per revolution of satellite.

I found the first a. I think it's -[tex]\frac{GmM_{e}}{r_{0}}[/tex].

No, I don't think that is correct. Remember that they ask for the total mechanical energy.

But then for part b, I assume that the frictional force is in the direction of its velocity. And so, I think I have [tex]\frac{\partial^2\theta}{dt^2}[/tex] = f.

That cannot be the right relation, since it does not have the same units on each side of the equation.

Instead, I would suggest thinking about how much work is done by the frictional force every time the satellite goes around once. How will that work affect the total energy that you found in part a?

Hi

Oh, right. So the total mechanical energy E would be then [tex]\frac{l^2}{mr^2} - \frac{GmM_{e}}{r}[/tex], where l is the angular momentum of the satellite. And you can find l because for a circular orbit, [tex]\frac{dE}{dr}= 0[/tex].

Okay, I think the amount of work done by friction as the satellite goes around once would be [tex]2fr\pi[/tex]? Hm .. as the satellite gets closer, the speed increases but potential energy decreases. So then the change in energy is then [tex]2fr\pi[/tex]? Then would I solve for r using the energy equation above?

Thanks.

Last edited:

sorry, i meant dE/dr = 0, but somehow the latex came out the other way.

bodensee9 said:
Hi

Oh, right. So the total mechanical energy E would be then [tex]\frac{l^2}{mr^2} - \frac{GmM_{e}}{r}[/tex],

I don't think that's right; it looks like you're missing a numerical factor.

But in the end I think you want to find a single term for part a. Just use translational kinetic energy:

[tex]
E_{\rm total}=\frac{1}{2}mv^2-\frac{GMm}{r}
[/tex]

Since it is a circular orbit, you can also find v in terms of r. Once you plug that back into this energy expression, you'll get a much simpler form that makes solving part b easier.

where l is the angular momentum of the satellite. And you can find l because for a circular orbit, [tex]\frac{dE}{dr}= 0[/tex].

Okay, I think the amount of work done by friction as the satellite goes around once would be [tex]2fr\pi[/tex]? Hm .. as the satellite gets closer, the speed increases but potential energy decreases. So then the change in energy is then [tex]2fr\pi[/tex]?

Okay, but don't forget the sign. Friction is causing the satellite to lose energy.

Then would I solve for r using the energy equation above?

Yes, I think you would want to use the work-energy formula for this, since energy is not conserved.

Thanks!
You're right; I meant to have a 1/2 in front of the l^2/mr^2 term. For some reason I'm having trouble with Latex.

bodensee9 said:
Thanks!
You're right; I meant to have a 1/2 in front of the l^2/mr^2 term. For some reason I'm having trouble with Latex.

That's right. And here, angular momentum is not conserved, so you should eliminate L, and get an expression for the total energy that has r (but not L or v).

Okay, since I will have
[tex]\frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{GmM}{r^2}[/tex],
so then my [tex]v^{2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{GM}{r}[/tex].
Then plugging in this means that my total energy at any given r is
[tex]\frac{-GmM}{2r}[/tex].
Then I would have:
[tex]\frac{-GmM}{2r_{i}}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-GmM}{2r_{f}}[/tex] - [tex]2r_{i}f\pi[/tex]?

Where [tex]r_{i}[/tex] is the initial radius and [tex]r_{f}[/tex] is the new radius after one revolution has passed.
Then I will have

[tex]GmM(\frac{r_{f}-r_{i}}{2r_{i}r_{f}})[/tex] = [tex]2r_{i}f\pi[/tex].

So then can I make the approximation that since r_final and r_initial won't differ very much from revolution to revolution, so effectively in the denominator I have [tex]2r_{i}^2[/tex]? And then I can simply the expression to get

[tex](r_{f}-r_{i})[/tex] = [tex]\frac{4r_{i}^3f\pi}{GmM}[/tex]

Thanks! Sorry this is taking so long.

You're very nearly right.

A couple of questions:

Do you expect that:

• the initial energy is less than or greater than the final energy?
  • the final radius is smaller or larger than the initial radius?

Think about the answers to those questions, and whether these equations are consistant with or contradict them:

bodensee9 said:
[tex]\frac{-GmM}{2r_{i}}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-GmM}{2r_{f}}[/tex] - [tex]2r_{i}f\pi[/tex]?

[tex](r_{f}-r_{i})[/tex] = [tex]\frac{4r_{i}^3f\pi}{GmM}[/tex]

Um, I thought that the potential energy will be less than the initial energy (because the done by friction will actually go into the increase in kinetic energy?) and I thought the final radius will be smaller than the initial radius...? Thanks.

oh right, I should have -GmM/r_initial - 2(pi)r_initial*f = -GmM/r_final. Thanks!

Related to What is the effect of friction on the orbit of a satellite?

What is total mechanical energy?

Total mechanical energy is the sum of an object's kinetic energy and potential energy. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position or configuration.

How do you calculate total mechanical energy?

Total mechanical energy can be calculated by adding the object's kinetic energy and potential energy. The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. The potential energy formula depends on the type of potential energy, such as gravitational potential energy (PE = mgh) or elastic potential energy (PE = 1/2 kx^2).

What is the conservation of total mechanical energy?

The conservation of total mechanical energy states that the total mechanical energy of a system remains constant, as long as there is no external work or non-conservative forces acting on the system. This means that the total amount of kinetic and potential energy in the system will remain the same, even if the energy is transformed or transferred between different forms.

What happens to total mechanical energy when work is done on an object?

When work is done on an object, there is a transfer of energy between different forms, but the total mechanical energy of the object remains the same. If work is done on an object to increase its kinetic energy, its potential energy will decrease by the same amount, and vice versa.

How does the height of an object affect its total mechanical energy?

The height of an object can affect its total mechanical energy by changing its potential energy. As an object is lifted to a higher position, its potential energy will increase, and if it is lowered, its potential energy will decrease. This change in potential energy will also affect the object's total mechanical energy.