What is the Double Integral Problem for the given function?

In summary, To solve the given integral, the u substitution method was used. After substituting u=x^2+y^2 and du=2y dy, the limits were changed to correspond with the new variable. The integral was then split into two parts, one with a substitution of w=x^2+1 and the other using the fact that (x^2)^{3/2}=x^3. After evaluating and simplifying, the exact answer was found to be (16√2−19)/60.
Gale

Homework Statement

[tex] \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1} xy \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} dy dx [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried integration by parts, but I'm not really coming up with anything simpler. I also thought I could use a u substition, letting u= x^2+y^2, but then it was looking so messy that I thought it must be wrong. Its been a while since I've done calculus, so I'm just really unconfident in my approach.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gale said:

Homework Statement

[tex] \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1} xy \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} dy dx [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried integration by parts, but I'm not really coming up with anything simpler. I also thought I could use a u substitution, letting u= x^2+y^2, but then it was looking so messy that I thought it must be wrong. Its been a while since I've done calculus, so I'm just really not confident in my approach.
What do you get when you try that substitution?

Remember, when you integrate with respect to y, treat x as a constant.

What is [itex]\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} xy \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} dy [/itex] if you treat x as a constant?

You're on the right track with the u substitution. Bear in mind that when you do the first integral with respect to y, you can treat x as a constant. So if u = x^2 +y^2, then du =?

SammyS said:
What do you get when you try that substitution?

Remember, when you integrate with respect to y, treat x as a constant.

What is [itex]\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} xy \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} dy [/itex] if you treat x as a constant?

The u substitution?

I got

[tex] u= x^2 + y^2, du= 2y dy[/tex]

So I substituted back in and got:

[tex] \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^1 \frac{x}{2} \sqrt {u} du dx [/tex]

After that I would integrate with respect to u first, getting:

[tex] \int_{0}^{1} \frac{x}{3} u^{3/2} ]_{0}^{1} dx[/tex] then substituting back in
[tex] \int_{0}^{1} \frac{x}{3} (x^2 + y^2)^{3/2} ]_{0}^{1} dx[/tex] and evaluating on the interval you get:
[tex] \int_{0}^{1} \frac{x}{3} ((x^2 + 1)^{3/2}-(x^2)^{3/2}) dx [/tex]

And then this is where I started to lose faith in my approach...

Don't give up. What's wrong with letting ##u=x^2+1## in the first term and just simplifying the second one? Also, it would save some writing if you would change the limits along with the substitution so you wouldn't have to back-substitute.

Gale said:
The u substitution?

I got

[tex] u= x^2 + y^2, du= 2y dy[/tex]

So I substituted back in and got:

[tex] \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^1 \frac{x}{2} \sqrt {u} du dx [/tex]

After that I would integrate with respect to u first, getting:

[tex] \int_{0}^{1} \frac{x}{3} u^{3/2} ]_{0}^{1} dx[/tex] then substituting back in
[tex] \int_{0}^{1} \frac{x}{3} (x^2 + y^2)^{3/2} ]_{0}^{1} dx[/tex] and evaluating on the interval you get:
[tex] \int_{0}^{1} \frac{x}{3} ((x^2 + 1)^{3/2}-(x^2)^{3/2}) dx [/tex]

And then this is where I started to lose faith in my approach...

Keep going !

Split that into two integrals.

For the first:
Do a subtitution

Let w=x2+1 .​

For the second:
Notice that [itex](x^2)^{3/2}=x^3[/itex]​

LCKurtz said:
Also, it would save some writing if you would change the limits along with the substitution so you wouldn't have to back-substitute.

Okay, I'll come back to this in the morning.

Also, this may sound stupid, but how would I change the limits of the integral?

Gale said:
Okay, I'll come back to this in the morning.

Also, this may sound stupid, but how would I change the limits of the integral?

What he means is that when you started you were integrating from y=0 to y=1. When you do the first u substitution, u=x^2 + y^2, y = 0 corresponds to u=x^2, and y=1 corresponds to u=x^2+1. So you can change the limits and keep the definite integral in terms of u, so you have u^(3/2) evaluated from x^2 to (x^2+1), giving (x^2+1)^(3/2) - (x^2)^(3/2), and you don't need to back-substitute from u back to y. You get the same answer, but it is faster ans simpler.

SammyS said:
Keep going !

Split that into two integrals.

For the first:
Do a subtitution

Let w=x2+1 .​

For the second:
Notice that [itex](x^2)^{3/2}=x^3[/itex]​

Okay, so continuing, I let [itex] w= x^2 + 1, dw= 2x dx[/itex] If I change the the limits of the integral, then when x=1, w=2, when x= 0, w=1. So I get, [tex] \int_1^2 \frac{1}{6} (w)^{3/2}- \int_0^1 x^3 dx= \frac{1}{15} w^{5/2}\ \big]_1^2 \ -\ \frac{1}{4}x^4 \ \big]_0^1[/tex]

Evaluated I got 0.0605. Did I make some sort of mistake?

Gale said:
Okay, so continuing, I let [itex] w= x^2 + 1, dw= 2x dx[/itex] If I change the the limits of the integral, then when x=1, w=2, when x= 0, w=1. So I get, [tex] \int_1^2 \frac{1}{6} (w)^{3/2}- \int_0^1 x^3 dx= \frac{1}{15} w^{5/2}\ \big]_1^2 \ -\ \frac{1}{4}x^4 \ \big]_0^1[/tex]

Evaluated I got 0.0605. Did I make some sort of mistake?

No, but what's wrong with the exact answer?$$
\frac{16\sqrt 2 - 19}{60}$$

LCKurtz said:
No, but what's wrong with the exact answer?$$
\frac{16\sqrt 2 - 19}{60}$$

Hmm... when when I simplified, my exact answer didn't look as pretty as yours and rather than trying to make into a single term, I just evaluated it on a calculator. Conveniently, it also takes up less space on my paper. haha.

Thank you for your help. I wasn't very confident when I first did this problem myself.

Gale said:
Hmm... when when I simplified, my exact answer didn't look as pretty as yours and rather than trying to make into a single term, I just evaluated it on a calculator. Conveniently, it also takes up less space on my paper. haha.

Thank you for your help. I wasn't very confident when I first did this problem myself.

Lucky for you I'm not still teaching and you aren't in my class because I would have docked you a couple of points on an exam for not simplifying and giving an exact answer. :devil:

LCKurtz said:
Lucky for you I'm not still teaching and you aren't in my class because I would have docked you a couple of points on an exam for not simplifying and giving an exact answer. :devil:

Good point! This is my first problem set for this class, so I'm not sure what sort of answers my teacher will want. I'm a big fan of exact answers, but I guess I was being lazy... I've been out of school for too many years I suppose. :frown: I'll try to simplify from now on.

Related to What is the Double Integral Problem for the given function?

What is a double integral?

A double integral is an integral that involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in the two-dimensional plane. It is represented by two successive integrals, with the inner integral representing the integration in one variable while the outer integral represents the integration in the other variable.

What is the purpose of a double integral?

The purpose of a double integral is to find the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space or to compute the area of a two-dimensional region on the x-y plane. It can also be used to find the average value of a function over a given region.

What are the different types of double integrals?

There are two types of double integrals: the iterated integral and the double integral with respect to area. The iterated integral is a method of evaluating a double integral by integrating one variable at a time, while the double integral with respect to area involves integrating a function over a region by dividing it into small rectangles and summing up the areas of those rectangles.

What are the steps to solve a double integral problem?

The general steps to solve a double integral problem are as follows:

1. Identify the region of integration.
  2. Write the double integral in the correct form.
  3. Evaluate the inner integral by treating the other variable as a constant.
  4. Integrate the result from the previous step over the remaining variable.
  5. If necessary, use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to evaluate the final integral.

What are some real-world applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many real-world applications, such as calculating the center of mass of an object, finding the moment of inertia of a solid body, and calculating the electric field of a charged particle. They are also used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze various systems and phenomena.