What is the domain of Bessel function J1(x)?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the domain for the Bessel function J(sub 1)(x) and understanding its derivative. The suggestion is made to use the Taylor series definition and consider the terms and radius of convergence. It is also mentioned that there are various ways to describe Bessel functions and using TeX can be helpful in communicating mathematical concepts.
vigintitres

Homework Statement

so, without typing the whole thing (because I do not know how to use any LaTeX or similar program) what is the domain for the Bessel function J(sub 1)(x) = ...

Homework Equations

I am to understand that taking the derivative of this monster will give me some kind of answer, but I do not know what this answer means or why I should be getting it via the derivative of the Bessel function

The Attempt at a Solution

ahhhhhh...no

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you using the taylor series definition of the bessel function? If so, then write out some terms and think where it might be undefined and what it's radius of convergence is. You don't HAVE to use TeX to communicate what you mean but it helps. Find a post that used TeX and click on the TeX and you can see how they did it. Otherwise be creative with text. You have to do something, '...' is not very expressive. There is a large variety of ways to describe bessel functions.

Related to What is the domain of Bessel function J1(x)?

1. What is a Bessel function?

A Bessel function is a special type of mathematical function that was first introduced by the mathematician Daniel Bernoulli and later studied by Friedrich Bessel. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve differential equations and model wave phenomena.

2. What are the applications of Bessel functions?

Bessel functions have a wide range of applications in various fields such as electromagnetics, acoustics, signal processing, and fluid mechanics. They are also used in solving problems related to heat conduction, diffusion, and vibration.

3. How are Bessel functions different from other mathematical functions?

Bessel functions are unique in that they have a complex argument and can take on both real and imaginary values. They also have a special symmetry property that allows them to be written in terms of sine and cosine functions.

4. Can Bessel functions be evaluated numerically?

Yes, Bessel functions can be evaluated numerically using various computational methods such as Taylor series, power series, and continued fractions. There are also specialized algorithms and software packages available for efficient computation of Bessel functions.

5. Are Bessel functions related to other special functions?

Yes, Bessel functions are closely related to other special functions such as the Airy function, Legendre function, and hypergeometric function. They have many similar properties and can often be transformed into one another.