What is the Domain for the Inverse of a One-to-One Function?

In summary, the conversation discusses proving a function is one-to-one and finding its inverse and domain. The function is proven to be one-to-one using the horizontal test and its inverse is determined to be f^-1(x) = ln(-x/(4x-1)). However, there is a mistake in the domain, which should be (0, 1/4) instead of (-infinity, 0)u(1/4, infinity).
ardentmed
Hey guys,

I've a few more questions this time around from my problem set:

(Ignore question 2abc, I only need help with the first one)

Question:
08b1167bae0c33982682_5.jpg

For the first one, in order to prove that a function is one-to-one, f(x1) =/ f(x2) when x1 =/ x2. Thus, the horizontal test applies. So I said that:

(e^a)/(1+4^a) = (e^b)/(1+4^b)
This gave me (e^a)=(e^b)
Hence, a = b and f is one to one.

As for the inverse, I wrote out y=f(x), solved for x in terms of y, and expressed f^-1 as a function of x where x and y interchange. Ultimately, y=(e^x)/(1+4e^x) ended up becoming f^-1(x) = ln(-x/(4x-1))

As for the domain, I know that x< 0 to avoid non-real answers to comply with ln.

Hence the domain is (-infinity, 0)u(1/4, infinity). Which I highly doubt. Any ideas?
Thanks again. I really appreciate the help guys.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Inverse One to One Proofs Help Please

ardentmed said:
Hey guys,

I've a few more questions this time around from my problem set:

(Ignore question 2abc, I only need help with the first one)

Question:For the first one, in order to prove that a function is one-to-one, f(x1) =/ f(x2) when x1 =/ x2. Thus, the horizontal test applies. So I said that:

(e^a)/(1+4^a) = (e^b)/(1+4^b)
This gave me (e^a)=(e^b)
Hence, a = b and f is one to one.

This part you have right.

ardentmed said:
As for the inverse, I wrote out y=f(x), solved for x in terms of y, and expressed f^-1 as a function of x where x and y interchange. Ultimately, y=(e^x)/(1+4e^x) ended up becoming f^-1(x) = ln(-x/(4x-1))

As for the domain, I know that x< 0 to avoid non-real answers to comply with ln.

Hence the domain is (-infinity, 0)u(1/4, infinity). Which I highly doubt. Any ideas?
Thanks again. I really appreciate the help guys.

Your answer is close. While the inverse function is correct, the domain is off; it should be $(0, 1/4)$. The domain of $f^{-1}$ is the set of points $x$ such that $x/(1 - 4x) > 0$. So $x$ belongs to the domain of $f^{-1}$ if and only if

(1) $x > 0$ and $1-4x > 0$, or

(2) $x < 0$ and $1-4x < 0$.

In case (1), $x > 0$ and $x < 1/4$, which is equivalent to saying $x \in (0,1/4)$. In case (2), $x < 0$ and $x > 1/4$, which cannot both happen. So the domain of $f^{-1}$ is the set of points in (1), which is (0, 1/4).

Related to What is the Domain for the Inverse of a One-to-One Function?

1. What is an inverse one to one proof?

An inverse one to one proof is a mathematical method used to show that a function is one-to-one or bijective. This means that the function has a unique output for every input, and every output has a unique input. Inverse one to one proofs involve showing that the function has both a one-to-one and an inverse function.

2. How is an inverse one to one proof different from a regular one to one proof?

An inverse one to one proof is different from a regular one to one proof in that it involves showing that the function has both a one-to-one and an inverse function. This means that in addition to showing that the function has a unique output for every input, you also have to show that every output has a unique input.

3. What is the importance of inverse one to one proofs?

Inverse one to one proofs are important because they help us understand the properties of a function. By showing that a function is both one-to-one and has an inverse, we know that the function has a unique output for every input and that every output has a unique input. This allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations using the function.

4. What are some common strategies used in inverse one to one proofs?

Some common strategies used in inverse one to one proofs include using algebraic manipulations to show that the function is one-to-one, using the horizontal line test to show that the function has a unique output for every input, and using the definition of inverse functions to show that the function has an inverse.

5. How can I apply inverse one to one proofs in real world situations?

Inverse one to one proofs can be applied in real world situations such as in economics, where they can be used to analyze supply and demand functions, or in physics, where they can be used to analyze the relationship between variables. They can also be used in engineering, chemistry, and other scientific fields to understand and model real world phenomena.