What is the distance between a diverging lens and a filament?

In summary: That's a possibility.Thanks.In summary, the diverging lens with focus 5 cm is placed on a filament. The distance between the lens and the filament is 5 cm.
songoku

Homework Statement

A diverging lens with focus 5 cm is placed on a filament. Find the distance between the lens and the filament

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{1}{f}=\frac{1}{di}+\frac{1}{d}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Focus of diverging lens is negative so, f = -5 cm. I think the question is asking about di. What is d ? Can it be infinity because the filament gives light until far enough distance ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From what i recall di = initial distance of object and d is the final. However, to solve your question i won't be as much as of a help as others. Sorry.

Hi Maroc

Ah thanks for clarifying my equation. I usually use d as distance of object and d' as distance of the image. I think it's better to use your notation.

No problem songoku,

Just like to help around. If there is no help here try wiki or other info sites regarding this matter.

If you real positive sign convention,
the equation becomes
-1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where do is the object distance and di is the image distance.
Here do = f = 5 cm

Hi Mr. rl.bhat

Why does do = 5 cm ? Based on your equation, I think the question is asking about do, the distance between the lens and filament.

Thanks

songoku said:
Hi Mr. rl.bhat

Why does do = 5 cm ? Based on your equation, I think the question is asking about do, the distance between the lens and filament.

Thanks

he rearranged the equation to get 5cm

Hi Maroc

Oh I see. So like I said, di (the distance of image) = infinity, right ?

Thanks

songoku said:
Hi Maroc

Oh I see. So like I said, di (the distance of image) = infinity, right ?

Thanks

In the given problem there are two unknowns. By a diverging lens you cannot get an image at infinity. So I thought the object is at the focus of the diverging lens. In the MCQ most of the students will select the image at infinity, which is wrong.

Hi Mr. rl.bhat

Oh I see. The image of diverging lens should be located between the focus and the center of the lens.
But I don't understand why you thought the object is at the focus. I think it's possible the object (in this case I suppose the object is the filament) is located between f and 2f or further than 2f and the question is asking about this distance.

Thanks

I'm confused. The question says that the lens is placed on the filament, then asks for the distance between the lens and the filament? If one is on top of the other, wouldn't the distance be 0?

Hi ideasrule

I'm not sure about that, but that's the question. Or maybe the lens is placed in front of a filament in a lightbulb?

Thanks

Related to What is the distance between a diverging lens and a filament?

What is a diverging lens on a filament?

A diverging lens on a filament is a type of lens that is curved outward and causes light rays to spread out or diverge. It is commonly used in optical devices such as cameras and telescopes to help create a wider field of view.

How does a diverging lens on a filament work?

A diverging lens on a filament works by refracting or bending light rays as they pass through the lens. The outer edges of the lens are thinner than the center, causing the light rays to spread out and diverge. This creates a virtual image that appears smaller and further away from the lens.

What are the characteristics of a diverging lens on a filament?

The characteristics of a diverging lens on a filament include a negative focal length, a concave shape, and a diverging effect on light rays. It also creates a virtual, upright, and reduced image of an object placed in front of the lens.

How is a diverging lens on a filament different from a converging lens?

A diverging lens on a filament is different from a converging lens in several ways. It has a negative focal length, whereas a converging lens has a positive focal length. It also causes light rays to diverge, rather than converge, and creates a virtual image rather than a real image.

What are some common uses for a diverging lens on a filament?

A diverging lens on a filament is commonly used in optical devices such as cameras, telescopes, and microscopes to create a wider field of view. It is also used in corrective eyeglasses to help treat nearsightedness and in projectors to help widen the projection of an image.