What is the displacement of a wave on a string at a given instant of time?

In summary: Its current velocity is 8 cm/s and it was at 8 cm/s before. It traveled 1 cm in 1 millisecond. The graph looked just like it does now 1 millisecond ago.
ZanyCat
"This figure is a snapshot graph of the instantaneous velocity of the particles on a string. The wave is moving to the left at 50 cm/s.

Draw a snapshot graph of the string's displacement at this instant of time."

So it seems to be a quite basic question, where it's pretty much just an integration with working out the displacement from the velocity graph.
However I don't know how to account for the 50cm/s, and if it's even relevant at all.

I've tried considering v=λf, v=ω/k, and v=-ωA*cos(kx+ωt+θ) (plus ωt because moving to the left) but have gotten nowhere, especially because I don't know how to work out the phase constant θ, and once again don't know whether it's relevant or not.

Help would be muchly appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
50cm/s gives you a reference how long a point was in those velocity regions - you need this duration for the displacement. Integrating a velocity over a length (as a direct integration would do) does not give a length.

I'm stuck on this question too. Can you explain exactly how you use the 50cm/s as a reference? thanks

Consider x=8cm. What is its current velocity? What was its velocity before that? When did the velocity change? How far did it move in that time frame?

mfb said:
Consider x=8cm. What is its current velocity? What was its velocity before that? When did the velocity change? How far did it move in that time frame?

Maybe I'm confused at the definition of a snapshot graph. My understanding is that each point on the graph represents a particle's vertical velocity (since waves on a string are transverse) at that position taken at one instance of time. I'm confused on how I would calculate the displacement that corresponds to each point on the velocity graph.

I'm confused on how I would calculate the displacement that corresponds to each point on the velocity graph.
Did you try to follow my steps?

Here are two more intermediate step:
What is its current velocity? What was its velocity before that? How far does the wave travel in 1 millisecond? How did the velocity graph look like 1 millisecond before? When did the velocity change? How far did it move in that time frame?

Related to What is the displacement of a wave on a string at a given instant of time?

What is wave displacement on a string?

Wave displacement on a string is the movement of a string in response to a wave passing through it. The string will move up and down or side to side as the wave travels along its length.

What causes wave displacement on a string?

Wave displacement on a string is caused by a disturbance or energy being transferred to the string. This can be from a source such as plucking or strumming the string, or from another wave passing through it.

How is wave displacement measured on a string?

Wave displacement on a string is typically measured by the amplitude, or maximum height, of the string's movement. This can be measured using a ruler or by using sensors that can detect the string's movement.

What factors affect wave displacement on a string?

The factors that affect wave displacement on a string include the frequency and amplitude of the wave, the tension and density of the string, and any external forces acting on the string.

How is wave displacement on a string related to wavelength?

The wavelength of a wave on a string is directly related to its displacement. As the wavelength increases, the displacement of the string also increases. This means that a longer wavelength will result in a greater distance between the high and low points of the string's movement.