What is the Direction of Friction on a Sphere Placed on a Smooth Inclined Plane?

In summary: For example, if you have two pieces of wood and you slide one over the other, the force of friction arises because the surfaces are not perfectly flat and smooth. At the microscopic level, there are protrusions and troughs on one that mate with those on the other and you have to apply a force to get them to move over each other. If the surfaces are perfectly flat and smooth, there is nothing to prevent one from sliding over the other and, hence, no frictional force. That's the simplest answer I can give, but there is a deeper answer. In quantum mechanics, it is not really possible to have perfectly flat, smooth surfaces. There is always some uncertainty in the position of the atoms and
Saitama

Homework Statement

A plank of mass M is placed over smooth inclined plane and a sphere is placed on the plank as shown (see attachment). There is sufficient friction between sphere and plank to prevent slipping. If system is released from rest, the frictional force on the sphere is
a)up the plane
b)down the plane
c)zero
d)horizontal

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by drawing a FBD of the sphere (see attachment 2). I assumed that the friction,f acts down the plane.
Equation for translational motion of sphere:
##mg \sin \theta=ma##...(i)
where a is acceleration of sphere
Equation for rotational motion of sphere (taking torque about CM):
##fR=Ia/R##...(ii)
where I is the moment of inertia of sphere and R is the radius of sphere. Solving the equations, I get a positive value of f which means that the direction of friction is down the plane. But the answer is zero. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• friction.png
    friction.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 434
  • friction2.png
    friction2.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Friction opposes motion. If the ball/log were to slipped, what would be the direction of motion. The ball rolls because something opposes it sufficiently to prevent slipping.

Astronuc said:
Friction opposes motion. If the ball/log were to slipped, what would be the direction of motion.
Its direction would be opposite to the slipping. But I still don't understand why its zero during rolling?

You have to consider the motion of the plank as well. How does their relative acceleration look like without friction?

Sorry for being late.

mfb said:
You have to consider the motion of the plank as well. How does their relative acceleration look like without friction?

The relative acceleration without friction is zero.
Applying Newton's second law for plank:
[tex]Mg\sin \theta-f=Ma'[/tex]
The direction of frictional force is up the plane on the plank.
[tex]a'=\frac{1}{M}(Mg\sin \theta-f)[/tex]
In the reference frame fixed to the plank, a pseudo force, ##ma'## acts on the sphere up the plane.
[tex]mg\sin \theta+f-\frac{m}{M}(Mg\sin \theta-f)=ma[/tex]
[tex]f+\frac{mf}{M}=ma[/tex]
[tex]f=\frac{mMa}{m+M}[/tex]
Taking moments about the CM of sphere
[tex]fR=I\frac{a}{R}[/tex]
Substituting the value of a
[tex]fR-f\frac{M+m}{mMR}=0[/tex]
[tex]f=0[/tex]
This gives me the right answer. Is this method correct? Is their any easier way?

Thanks mfb! :smile:

Last edited:
Pranav-Arora said:
Is their any easier way?
Rather:smile:. Suppose there were no friction between the sphere and the plank. Each would experience a component of force down the plane in proportion to its own mass, so they would accelerate together. Thus, no sliding will occur between them. Hence, there is no frictional force even when the surfaces are rough.

haruspex said:
Hence, there is no frictional force even when the surfaces are rough.

I understood what you said before this but how did you reach this conclusion? :confused:

Last edited:
Pranav-Arora said:
I understood what you said before this but how did you reach this conclusion? :confused:

Frictional forces only arise when, in the absence of those forces, the two surfaces would have slid in relation to each other. If there was no tendency for them to move out of synch then no frictional force.

Related to What is the Direction of Friction on a Sphere Placed on a Smooth Inclined Plane?

1. What is the purpose of finding the direction of friction?

The purpose of finding the direction of friction is to understand the forces acting on an object and how they affect its motion. By knowing the direction of friction, we can predict how an object will move and make calculations based on that information.

2. How is the direction of friction determined?

The direction of friction is determined by the relative motion between two surfaces in contact. It always acts in the opposite direction of the motion or intended motion of an object.

3. What factors affect the direction of friction?

The direction of friction is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the normal force between them, and the coefficient of friction. These factors determine the magnitude and direction of the frictional force.

4. Can the direction of friction change?

Yes, the direction of friction can change depending on the changing conditions of the surfaces in contact. For example, if the surface becomes rougher, the direction of friction may change to oppose the new direction of motion.

5. How is the direction of friction useful in real life?

The direction of friction is useful in many real-life situations, such as driving a car, walking, or playing sports. By understanding the direction of friction, we can make adjustments to our movements to maintain balance and control our speed and direction of motion.