What is the difference between the phase and argument of a complex number?

In summary, Cartesian form of complex numbers can be used to find the argument by using arctan(b/a). However, a purely imaginary number has no phase, only an argument. In a lecture, a professor explained that the argument of i*2pi is pi/2, as it lies on the y-axis. However, attempting to find the argument using arctan(2pi/0) results in an error. This is because the argument is defined differently depending on the case, with an indeterminate value when both x and y are equal to 0.
eggshell
in cartesian form, a+ ib you can find the phase by doing arctan(b/a).. my question concerns the phase of a purely imaginary number. during a lecture my professor said that the phase of i*2pi= pi/2, he rationalized this by saying that the number lies on the y-axis so the angle between the real axis and the imaginary axis is pi/2. but if you do arctan(2pi/0) you will get an error.. how is he right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Complex numbers don't have a "phase" they have an "argument" which is defined case by case: if z = x + iy we define [itex]\phi = Arg(z)[/itex] as
arctan(y/x) when x > 0
arctan(y/x)+π when x < 0 and y ≥ 0
arctan(y/x)-π when x < 0 and y < 0
π/2 when x = 0 and y > 0
-π/2 when x = 0 and y < 0
indeterminate when x = 0 and y = 0.

Related to What is the difference between the phase and argument of a complex number?

1. What is the phase of a complex number?

The phase of a complex number refers to the angle in the complex plane that the number makes with the positive real axis. It is also known as the argument of the complex number.

2. How is the phase of a complex number calculated?

The phase of a complex number can be calculated using the formula: θ = arctan(b/a), where a is the real part and b is the imaginary part of the complex number.

3. What is the range of the phase of a complex number?

The range of the phase of a complex number is between -π and π radians or -180 degrees and 180 degrees. It can also be expressed as any integer multiple of π.

4. How does the phase of a complex number affect its representation in the complex plane?

The phase of a complex number determines the direction in which it is represented in the complex plane. A positive phase represents a counter-clockwise rotation from the positive real axis, while a negative phase represents a clockwise rotation.

5. What is the significance of the phase of a complex number in mathematics?

The phase of a complex number is important in various fields of mathematics, such as signal processing and differential equations. It is also used in trigonometric and exponential functions, which are essential in many mathematical models and calculations.