What is the Definition and Equivalence of the Norm of a Bounded Operator?

In summary, The norm of a bounded operator A between Hilbert spaces is defined as ||A|| = \inf\limits_{\psi \neq 0} \frac{||A\psi||}{||\psi||}, and can also be expressed as a supremum or a maximum over the image of the unit sphere. This definition is equivalent to the definition given in Rudin's Real & Complex Analysis.
Euclid
I'm having trouble with this for some reason. If [tex]A:\mathcal{H}\to \mathcal{H}[/tex] is a bounded operator between Hilbert spaces, the norm of [tex]A[/tex] is
[tex] ||A|| = \inf\limits_{\psi \neq 0} \frac{||A\psi||}{||\psi||}[/tex].
My trouble is in verifying that [tex]||A||[/tex] is in fact a bound for [tex]A[/tex] in the sense that [tex]||A\psi|| \leq ||A|| ||\psi||[/tex]. I'm actually not even sure if that's true, but I was able to verify this by the definition given here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operator_norm. I basically just want to make sure the definitions are equivalent. The trouble is that if [tex]\psi\in \mathcal{H}[/tex], then by definition [tex]||A|| \leq \frac{||A\psi||}{||\psi||}[/tex] and this gives the incorrect inequality.
Did I overlook something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] ||A|| = \inf\limits_{\psi \neq 0} \frac{||A\psi||}{||\psi||}[/tex]
That's supposed to be a supremum.

Ah, that makes perfect sense. I should have realized that. Thanks.

and you can restrict to phi of length one for clarity.

so the definition is just the (largest) radius of the image of the unit sphere.

Is that for a general operator, or have you assumed linearity?

to my knowledge, the word "operator" in ths context of hilbert space always means linear operator.

Euclid said:
My trouble is in verifying that [tex]\|A\|[/tex] is in fact a bound for [tex]A[/tex] in the sense that [tex]\|A\psi\| \leq \|A\| \|\psi\|[/tex]

Notably, in Rudin's Real & Comlex Analysis, the norm of [tex]A[/tex] is defined by the above, and by

[tex] \|A\| = \sup\limits_{\psi \neq 0} \frac{\|A\psi\|}{\|\psi\|}[/tex]

and by

[tex] \|A\| = \sup \left\{\|A\psi\| : \|\psi\| =1\right\} [/tex]

(as mathwonk said) and these are equivalent.

Last edited:

Related to What is the Definition and Equivalence of the Norm of a Bounded Operator?

What is the definition of "Norm of a Bounded Operator"?

The norm of a bounded operator is a mathematical concept used to measure the size or magnitude of a linear transformation between two normed vector spaces. It represents the maximum amount by which the operator can magnify a vector.

How is the Norm of a Bounded Operator calculated?

The norm of a bounded operator can be calculated using the operator norm formula, which takes the supremum of the operator's image of all vectors in the domain. In simpler terms, it is the largest possible value that the operator can produce when acting on a vector with a norm of 1.

Why is the Norm of a Bounded Operator important?

The norm of a bounded operator is an essential tool in functional analysis, as it allows us to measure the behavior of operators and their impact on vector spaces. It also helps in determining the convergence and stability of numerical methods used in solving mathematical problems.

Can the Norm of a Bounded Operator be negative?

No, the norm of a bounded operator is always a non-negative value. It represents the size or magnitude of the operator, and negative values do not have a physical interpretation in this context.

How does the Norm of a Bounded Operator relate to the concept of linearity?

The norm of a bounded operator is a linear function. This means that it follows the properties of linearity, such as the superposition principle and homogeneity. It is an essential concept in linear algebra, as it helps in understanding the behavior of linear transformations between vector spaces.