What is the deceleration of the vehicle?

In summary, -The vehicle needs to stop within a distance of 0.5km using a constant braking force -The deceleration of the vehicle is 0.494 ms
Kev1n
1. I am looking to verify my calculation. Question A vehicle of mass 5Tonnes is traveling with a velocity of 80kmh-1 if it needs to stop within a dstnace of 0.5 km using a constant braking force what is the deceleration of the vehicle

2. V^2 = 2xSxA, A=V^2 / 2S

3. A=V^2/2s
80kmn = 22.222ms
A=22.222^2/2x500
A=493.8/1000
A=0.494
Deceleration = - 0.494

Physics news on Phys.org

Looks good :smile:

Welcome to PF.

Redbelly98 said:

Welcome to PF.

appreciated thanks

Redbelly98 said:

Welcome to PF.

IET (BK) - 0 new messages

new topic : profile : search : help : dashboard : home

Latest News: Conditions of use updated; signatures and other forum hints and tips
Private Messages Buddies Categories: SelectAsk the Chief Executive=== Technical discussions ===Wiring and the regulationsCommunicationsConsumer technologyControl and automationElectronic engineeringInformation technologyInnovations and emerging technologiesManagementManufacturingPowerTransportGeneral professional and technical=== General and career discussions ===FeedbackCEng, IEng, EngTech and other professional registration mattersSavoy Place Virtual ClubStudent and apprentice discussion forum=== Archived categories ===New Institution

latest topics : statistics

IET » Student and apprentice discussion forum » Calculation check Topic Title: Calculation check
Topic Summary: Deceleration
Created On: 18 October 2009 06:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch

Search Topic
Keyword

Topic Tools
Quick Reply
Subscribe to this topic
E-mail this topic
Bookmark this topic
View similar topics
Print this topic.

18 October 2009 06:11 PM

BK

Can anyone give this the once over make sure I have the formula calcs etc right

Vehicle mass 5 Tonnes traveling with a velocity 80kmh. It needs to stop with in 0.5km using constant braking force

Deceleration:
(80kmh = 80x1000/3600 = 22.2m/s)

a=(v^2-u^2) / 2s
a=(0-22.2^2)/2x500
a=(493.83)/1000
a= 0.494ms
as Deceleration = -0.49

Just want to check I am on the right line
Report this to a Moderator
Reply : Quote : Top : Bottom : Edit : Delete

19 October 2009 01:45 PM

tonysung

It's a very good start. Perhaps you could add a few explanatory notes to your working so it can be checked properly.

E.g., "Deceleration80kmh = 80x1000/3600 = 22.2m/s)" should be 'velocity' or 'speed' in m/s.

Please have another go.

Kind regards

-------------------------
tony sung
Report this to a Moderator
Reply : Quote : Top : Bottom

19 October 2009 07:11 PM

BK

Apologies that should have been Velocity 22.2ms

My concern is whilst working out time taken

V/A=T, 22.2/0.4938 = 45s

I checked using a Velocity, Time distance calculator on the net and it calculates 22.5s

Therefore was I correct in using 2s in my initial calculation, it appears to be correct when I transformed the formula

Kev1n said:
My concern is whilst working out time taken

V/A=T, 22.2/0.4938 = 45s

I checked using a Velocity, Time distance calculator on the net and it calculates 22.5s

Therefore was I correct in using 2s in my initial calculation, it appears to be correct when I transformed the formula

Yes, 2s was correct since the equation is

v2 = 2 s a​

22.5 sec would be the time to go 500 m at a constant velocity (no deceleration) of 22.2 m/s. But in that case the vehicle would not come to a stop, as stated in the problem.

Related to What is the deceleration of the vehicle?

1. What is deceleration?

Deceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity decreases over time. It is the opposite of acceleration, which is the rate at which an object's velocity increases.

2. How is deceleration measured?

Deceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) or feet per second squared (ft/s²). This unit represents the change in velocity per second.

3. What factors affect the deceleration of a vehicle?

The deceleration of a vehicle can be affected by several factors, including the vehicle's mass, the force applied by the brakes, the condition of the road surface, and the presence of external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. Can deceleration be negative?

Yes, deceleration can be negative. This occurs when an object's velocity is decreasing in the opposite direction of its initial motion. For example, if a car is moving forward and then begins to slow down while moving in reverse, its deceleration would be negative.

5. How is deceleration different from stopping?

Deceleration refers to the rate at which an object's velocity decreases, while stopping refers to the act of bringing an object to a complete halt. While deceleration is necessary for stopping, it does not necessarily mean that the object will come to a complete stop.