What is the Current in the Left Wire to Create a Zero Magnetic Field at Point C?

In summary, the problem involves two parallel wires carrying currents in opposite directions, with point C being located 5.88 cm to the right of the right wire. The left wire is adjusted to create a zero magnetic field at point C, and the goal is to find the value of the current I1. Using the equation I2/R2 = I1/R1 and the given distances, the current I1 is calculated to be 32.5A.
mlsohani

Homework Statement

Two straight parallel wires carry currents in opposite directions. The wire on the right carries a current of I2 = 11.5 A. Point A is the midpoint between the wires. The total distance between the wires is d = 10.7 cm. Point C is 5.88 cm to the right of the right wire carrying current I2. Wire on the left carries current I1 and is adjusted so that the magnetic field at C is zero. Calculate the value of the current I1.

Homework Equations

I2/R2 =I1/R1
B=I/R
Know I2< I1

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you have to use the 1st equation as a ratio but I do not know how to find R1.
R2 I believe in just 5.88cm (.0588m)

Physics news on Phys.org
R1 is the distance from the left wire to point C. You know the distance from the left wire to the right wire, and you know the distance from the right wire to C, so how far is the left wire from C? Draw a picture.

The distance would be 16.58 cm = 0.166 m

So plugging that into the proportion equation:

I2/R2=I1/R1

11.5A/.0588m = I1/0.166m
I1= 32.5A

Ok I think I forgot to change the cm to meter the first time!

But thank you for your help!

Related to What is the Current in the Left Wire to Create a Zero Magnetic Field at Point C?

What is the concept of current in 2 parallel wires?

Current in 2 parallel wires refers to the flow of electric charge through two wires that are placed parallel to each other. This flow of charge is typically measured in amperes (A) and is caused by the movement of electrons through the wires.

How does the current in 2 parallel wires behave?

The current in 2 parallel wires behaves according to the laws of electromagnetism, specifically Ohm's Law. This means that the current is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance in the wires. Additionally, the current in each wire is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

What factors affect the current in 2 parallel wires?

The current in 2 parallel wires is affected by the voltage applied to the circuit, the resistance of the wires, and the distance between the wires. A higher voltage will result in a higher current, while a higher resistance or greater distance between the wires will result in a lower current.

How is the current divided between the two parallel wires?

The current in the two parallel wires is divided based on the resistance of each wire. The wire with lower resistance will have a higher current flowing through it, while the wire with higher resistance will have a lower current. This is due to the fact that electrons will take the path of least resistance.

Is there any danger in having current flowing through two parallel wires?

Yes, there can be danger in having current flowing through two parallel wires. If the wires are not properly insulated and are in contact with each other, it can cause a short circuit. This can result in overheating, fire, or electric shock. It is important to always handle electrical wires with caution and make sure they are properly insulated.