What is the Cosine Fourier Transform of an Exponential Function?

In summary: But because they are, the product is bounded.Thanks Dick - yes: that would be a problem if the trig functions were not multiplied by a decreasing exponential. But because they are, the product is bounded.In summary, the problem is to find the cosine Fourier transform of the function f(t)=e-at. Using Euler's formula, the result can be written as F(w)=(2/π)0.5( eit(w-a)/i(w-a) - e-it(w+a)/i(w+a) ). However, further steps are needed to find the final solution, such as converting the exponentials back into cosine and sine functions. Alternatively, integration by parts can be used to solve the problem. However, it should be noted that
Jalo

Homework Statement

Find the cosine Fourier transform of the function f(t)=e-at

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

F(w)=(2/π)0.5∫dt e-atcos(wt)
The integral is from 0 to +∞

Using euler's formula I got the result

F(w)=(2/π)0.5( eit(w-a)/i(w-a) - e-it(w+a)/i(w+a) )

I don't know what to do from here... I can't just substitute!
If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need a common denominator don't you?
If I understand you correctly - you converted the cosine in the integral into a sum of exponentials, then did the integration?

That would give you something like:
$$e^{-at}\cos(wt)=\frac{1}{2} e^{-at}\left ( e^{iwt}+e^{-iwt} \right ) = \frac{1}{2}\left (e^{(iw-a)t}+e^{-(iw+a)t}\right )$$ ...in the integrand - which does not look like it ends up looking like yours. Can you show the intermediate steps in your working?

Alternatively:
You could try using integration by parts instead (hint: twice).

Simon Bridge said:
You need a common denominator don't you?
If I understand you correctly - you converted the cosine in the integral into a sum of exponentials, then did the integration?

That would give you something like:
$$e^{-at}\cos(wt)=\frac{1}{2} e^{-at}\left ( e^{iwt}+e^{-iwt} \right ) = \frac{1}{2}\left (e^{(iw-a)t}+e^{-(iw+a)t}\right )$$ ...in the integrand - which does not look like it ends up looking like yours. Can you show the intermediate steps in your working?

Alternatively:
You could try using integration by parts instead (hint: twice).

You're correct. I made a mistake! The actual result is:

[itex]{\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2π}}\left[\frac{exp(t(iw-a))}{iw-a}-\frac{exp(-t(iw+a))}{iw+a}\right]}[/itex]

The problem remains tho... I don't know what to do from here, since I'm integrating from 0 to ∞ !

Applying the limits - ##t=0## case is easy. It is ##t\rightarrow \infty## in the first term that gives you the problem?

To procede from here you need to convert the exponentials back into cosine and sine functions ... think in terms of a product of and exponential and trig functions.

I still think it is easier to just follow the hint in post #2.

Simon Bridge said:
Applying the limits - ##t=0## case is easy. It is ##t\rightarrow \infty## in the first term that gives you the problem?

To procede from here you need to convert the exponentials back into cosine and sine functions ... think in terms of a product of and exponential and trig functions.

I still think it is easier to just follow the hint in post #2.

I tought about using your hint, but I'd end up with cosine and sine functions, and neither of them converge to a value as x goes to infinity! That's why I avoided using it!

Jalo said:
I tought about using your hint, but I'd end up with cosine and sine functions, and neither of them converge to a value as x goes to infinity! That's why I avoided using it!

I think there is probably an unstated assumption that a>0. So your trig functions don't converge but they are bounded. e^(-at) goes to zero as t->infinity. What happens?

Thanks Dick - yes: that would be a problem if the trig functions were not multiplied by a decreasing exponential.

Related to What is the Cosine Fourier Transform of an Exponential Function?

1. What is a Cosine Fourier transform?

A Cosine Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to represent a function as a sum of cosine waves of different frequencies. It is an extension of the Fourier transform, which represents a function as a sum of both sine and cosine waves.

2. How is a Cosine Fourier transform different from a Fourier transform?

A Cosine Fourier transform only uses cosine waves, while a Fourier transform uses both sine and cosine waves. This means that the Cosine Fourier transform is an even function, while the Fourier transform can be both even and odd. Additionally, the Cosine Fourier transform is symmetric about the y-axis, while the Fourier transform is not.

3. What is the purpose of using a Cosine Fourier transform?

A Cosine Fourier transform is often used in signal processing and data analysis to study the frequency components of a function. It can also be used to solve differential equations and to represent periodic functions in a more simplified form.

4. How is a Cosine Fourier transform calculated?

To calculate a Cosine Fourier transform, the function is multiplied by a cosine wave of a specific frequency and integrated over the entire domain. This process is repeated for different frequencies, resulting in a sum of cosine waves that can be used to represent the function.

5. What are some real-life applications of a Cosine Fourier transform?

The Cosine Fourier transform has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It is often used to analyze signals in telecommunications and audio processing, to study the vibrations of structures in engineering, and to model financial data in economics and finance.