What is the Correct Way to Calculate Torque in a Uniform Boom System?

• Thread starter Jimmy84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the student is having difficulty solving a problem involving torque and is looking for help. The problem is solved, but the student needs someone to explain why a 2000 cos 65 value was used when solving the sum of torques. The tension in the boom is calculated using the Tx and Ty values, which have 90 degrees in relation to the axis.
Jimmy84

Homework Statement

Im having exam about Torque on monday and I am trying to solve problems about it I stumbled with this problem, I can't solve it. I think I am missing a fundamental concept about torque because of the fact that I don't understand how this problem was solved.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is solved, I just need someone to tell me why when doing the sum of torques a 2000 cos 65 was used . I believe the torque should be the perpendicular component of the force to the rod or for the uniform boom. I wrote instead 2000 sin of 25 . any help please?

Attachments

• serway.png
    serway.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 673
  • serw.png
    serw.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 550
Physics news on Phys.org
please anyone? and why is the tension T divided as tx and ty in the sum of torques? T already has 90 degrees in respect to the axis , so shouldn't the torque of T just be T multiplied by its lenght?

Jimmy84 said:

Homework Statement

Im having exam about Torque on monday and I am trying to solve problems about it I stumbled with this problem, I can't solve it. I think I am missing a fundamental concept about torque because of the fact that I don't understand how this problem was solved.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is solved, I just need someone to tell me why when doing the sum of torques a 2000 cos 65 was used . I believe the torque should be the perpendicular component of the force to the rod or for the uniform boom. I wrote instead 2000 sin of 25 . any help please?

Torque = Force x Radius of operation

You either take the component of the force at right angles to the lever F.cos65
OR
You take the effective radius of operation R.cos65

SO either F x R.cos65 or F.cos65 x R giving F.R.Cos65

EDIT: they have done a vertical and horizontal for the second part

Jimmy84 said:
please anyone? and why is the tension T divided as tx and ty in the sum of torques? T already has 90 degrees in respect to the axis , so shouldn't the torque of T just be T multiplied by its lenght?
Yes, you did find the torque of T the easy way...Serway first broke up T into its x and y components then summed torques of each...to give the same result. But ultimately you need to break up T into its components anyway to get the reaction forces. Remember the 2 ways to find torques...Frsin theta or F times perpendicular distance from line of action of F to pivot point.

Also note that AB sin25 = AB cos 65 ...

Last edited:
PhanthomJay said:
Yes, you did find the torque of T the easy way...Serway first broke up T into its x and y components then summed torques of each...to give the same result. But ultimately you need to break up T into its components anyway to get the reaction forces. Remember the 2 ways to find torques...Frsin theta or F times perpendicular distance from line of action of F to pivot point.

Also note that AB sin25 = AB cos 65 ...

The calculator wasent working well for some reason AB sin25 wasent the same as AB cos 65 i had to reset it. thanks a lot for your time .

Related to What is the Correct Way to Calculate Torque in a Uniform Boom System?

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to the object by the perpendicular distance between the force and the axis of rotation.

2. How is torque related to angular acceleration?

Torque and angular acceleration are directly proportional to each other. This means that as torque increases, angular acceleration also increases. The relationship between torque and angular acceleration is described by the equation τ = Iα, where τ is torque, I is moment of inertia, and α is angular acceleration.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative torque?

Positive torque causes an object to rotate in a counterclockwise direction, while negative torque causes an object to rotate in a clockwise direction. This is due to the right-hand rule, where the direction of rotation is determined by the direction of the applied force and the direction of the moment arm (the perpendicular distance between the force and the axis of rotation).

4. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to an object by the perpendicular distance between the force and the axis of rotation. The units for torque are Newton-meters (N*m) in the SI system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

5. What are some real-life applications of torque?

Torque is used in many everyday objects, such as wrenches, gears, and doorknobs. It is also essential in machines and vehicles, such as car engines, where torque is converted into rotational motion to power the vehicle. In sports, torque is used in activities like swinging a bat or throwing a ball. It is also crucial in physics and engineering experiments, where torque is used to measure the rotational motion of objects.