What is the correct radius for spinning a rope with mass?

• Thread starter Panphobia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Rope
In summary, the conversation is discussing a physics question involving a swinging pendulum and the calculation of the radius in the equations mv^2/r and v^2/r. There is confusion over whether the radius should be the length of the rope or Lsin20, with the conclusion being that for a pendulum, the radius should be the length of the rope. The conversation also touches on the positioning of the y and x-axis and clarifies that the circle is in a vertical plane.
Panphobia

Homework Statement

nlsmts.png

Homework Equations

mv^2/r
v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

My physics midterm is tomorrow and I was doing review today, so I did this question, then looked at the professor's solutions. For the radius in both equations he used the length of the rope, but shouldn't the radius be Lsin20? Also the way he positioned his y and x-axis was that the Y axis was parallel to tension(EXTRA INFO).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Panphobia! :smile:

(your professor can't spell "vertical"! :wink:)
Panphobia said:
For the radius in both equations he used the length of the rope, but shouldn't the radius be Lsin20? Also the way he positioned his y and x-axis was that the Y axis was parallel to tension(EXTRA INFO).

I think you're misunderstanding "swings in a vertical circle".

It means that the circle is in a vertical plane. :wink:

(Lsin20° would be for a horizontal circle)

Yea that is what I meant, it is pointing down. So is my professor wrong? OHHHH CRAPP didn't know it was a pendulum, sorry man this question was dumb :(

no, the ball is moving in the plane of the paper, and so the radius of the circle is L :confused:

Yea I pointed out earlier that it is moving as a pendulum and not in a circle.

if the radius of the circle is L, why would you use Lsin20° ? :confused:

I figured that out earlier, I thought original that it the mass was spinning about the vertical axis at angle theta, THEN the radius would be from the end of the mass to the vertical axis. But later I read the question more in depth and found that it was a pendulum, and if it is a pendulum then the radius is the length of the rope.

(isn't that what i said? :confused:)

so is it all ok now? :smile:

Likes 1 person
Yes thank you for your help!

Related to What is the correct radius for spinning a rope with mass?

1. What is the relationship between mass and rope spinning?

The relationship between mass and rope spinning is that the greater the mass of the rope, the more force is required to spin it. This is because the mass of the rope adds to the overall inertia, making it more difficult to change its direction of rotation.

2. How does the length of the rope affect its spinning with mass?

The length of the rope has a direct impact on its spinning with mass. A longer rope will have a greater linear mass density, meaning there is more mass distributed over a longer distance. This results in a higher inertia and requires more force to spin compared to a shorter rope.

3. What happens to the rope's spinning when more mass is added?

When more mass is added to the rope, it becomes more difficult to spin. This is because the added mass increases the rope's inertia, making it more resistant to changes in its direction of rotation. As a result, more force is needed to overcome this inertia and continue spinning the rope.

4. How does the spinning of a rope with mass differ from a rope without mass?

A rope with mass will have a higher inertia and require more force to spin compared to a rope without mass. This is because the added mass increases the overall inertia of the system, making it more difficult to change the direction of rotation. In addition, the added mass may also cause the rope to become more rigid and less flexible, affecting its spinning motion.

5. Can the speed of the rope's spinning be increased by adding more mass?

No, adding more mass to the rope will not necessarily increase its spinning speed. While the added mass may increase the rope's inertia and require more force to spin, it does not directly affect the speed of the spinning motion. Other factors such as the force applied and the friction between the rope and its surroundings will determine the speed of the spinning.