What is the correct method for solving this Newton's Third Law problem?

In summary, Newton's Third Law problem can be solved in a few different ways, but the most straightforward and common way is to find the net force acting on box B.
Precursor
[SOLVED] Newton's Third Law problem

Homework Statement

Three boxes, A, B, and C, are positioned next to each other on a horizontal, frictionless surface. An applied force acting on box A causes all the boxes to accelerate at [tex]1.5m/s^{2}
[/tex]. Calculate the force that box B exerts on box A.

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/8836/thirdlaw2cf8.png​
[/URL]

Homework Equations

[tex]F_{A on B}= -F_{B on A}[/tex]
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

What seems to be the issue is how my teacher solved this problem. What she did is isolate box B and find the [tex]F_{net}[/tex] acting on it. This is the calculation she did:

[tex]F_{net}= F_{A on B} - F_{C on B}[/tex]
[tex]F_{net}= m_{B}a - (-m_{C}a)[/tex]
[tex]F_{net}= (10 Kg)(1.5m/s^{2}) + (5.0 Kg)(1.5m/s^{2})[/tex]
[tex]F_{net}= 23 N[/tex]

Therefore, she says that [tex]F_{B on A} = 23 N
[/tex].

However, what confused me is the two negative signs she put infront of [tex]m_{C}a[/tex]. I think only one would suffice to take into consideration that [tex]F_{C on B}[/tex] is a negative value, being that its direction is left.

I solved this problem taking a different approach. I found [tex]F_{net}[/tex] of box B and C, and added them together. Here are my calculations:

[tex]F_{net}= m_{B}a + m_{C}a[/tex]
[tex]F_{net}= 23 N
[/tex]

Could someone please confirm whether my method of solving the problem is correct or not?​

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can find the total force. You know the mass of A. So, you know the force B applies back on A.

I found the total force that box B and C exerted on box A.

Why does C have to come into the picture?

F_A = F_net - F_B_on_A =>

M_A*a = M_tot*a - F_B_on_A.

I think this is conceptually the simplest. Ultimately, after algebra, all the methods are the same.

What seems to be the issue is how my teacher solved this problem. What she did is isolate box B and find the [tex]F_{net}[/tex] acting on it. This is the calculation she did:

[tex]F_{net}= F_{A on B} - F_{C on B}[/tex]
[tex]F_{net}= m_{B}a - (-m_{C}a)[/tex]
[tex]F_{net}= 23 N[/tex]

Therefore, she says that [tex]F_{B on A} = 23 N
[/tex].

However, what confused me is the two negative signs she put infront of [tex]m_{C}a[/tex].​

your teacher has [tex]F_{B on A}[/tex] pointing in the opposite direction as [tex]F_{A on B}[/tex]
This is rather confusing. First you need a minus sign in the first formula, because the two forces acting on B now point in opposite directions, and then you need another minus sign in [tex] F_{C on B}=-m_{C}a[/tex]. It's Easier to have positive=rightwards for all forces and accelerations.
What's worse is that between the first and the second line of her calculations, The meaning of [tex]F_{net}[/tex] changes, at first it's the net force on B, but then it's the net force on B and C as you had. It seems she changed her mind in mid-calculation.

Your calculation is ok.​

Precursor said:
I solved this problem taking a different approach. I found [tex]F_{net}[/tex] of box B and C, and added them together. Here are my calculations:

[tex]F_{net}= m_{B}a + m_{C}a[/tex]
[tex]F_{net}= 23 N
[/tex]

Could someone please confirm whether my method of solving the problem is correct or not?​

Regardless of the value you have got, why are you calling the sum of the forces on B and C as Fnet(left). Fnet is the force which is making all the boxes go.​

Boxes A, B, and C have total mass 23 kg. If they are acceletated at 1.5 m/s2, the force must F= ma= (23)(1.5)= 34.5 Newtons- and it is exerted upon A directly. A alone has mass 8 kg. In order to accelerate it alone at 1.5m /s2, it must be pushed by a net force of Fnet= (8)(1.5)= 12 Newtons. What force must B be exerting on A?

Hi Halls,

That's exactly what I've given in post #4 (without the littersome numericals, of course).

So my mistake was solving for [tex]F_{net}[/tex]? What if instead I had [tex]F_{A on B} = 23N
[/tex], and according to Newton's Third Law, [tex]F_{B on A} = 23N
[/tex]?​

Would you do it leaving C out of it? Or you just can't give up your method? It happens to all of us.

I suppose your method of solving the problem is easier. It makes me realize just how many ways one can go about solving such problems. Thanks for the help.

Related to What is the correct method for solving this Newton's Third Law problem?

1. How do you define Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In other words, when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

2. What is an example of Newton's Third Law in action?

An example of Newton's Third Law is when you push against a wall, the wall pushes back with an equal force. Another example is when a rocket propels itself forward by releasing gases in the opposite direction.

3. How does Newton's Third Law relate to motion?

Newton's Third Law is closely related to the concept of motion because it explains that forces always occur in pairs and have equal magnitudes but opposite directions. This means that when an object is in motion, there are always equal and opposite forces acting on it.

4. Can Newton's Third Law be applied to all types of forces?

Yes, Newton's Third Law can be applied to all types of forces, including gravitational, electromagnetic, and even contact forces. As long as there is an interaction between two objects, Newton's Third Law will apply.

5. How does Newton's Third Law impact the real world?

Newton's Third Law has many real-world applications, such as in sports, transportation, and engineering. It helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other, which is essential in designing and building structures and machines that function properly.