What Is the Correct Ground State Energy of a Neutron in a Box?

In summary, the particle in a box model is used to estimate ground state energies, and in this case, a neutron confined to a 1 x 10^-14m box. The equation used is En = h^2/8mL^2 and the answer in joules was 3.28e-13, but to convert it to MeV, it needs to be multiplied by 6.24e12, resulting in an answer of 2.05 MeV.
wayneinsane

Homework Statement

The particle in a box model is often used to make rough estimates of ground state energies. Suppose that you have a neutron confined to a one-dimensional box of length equal say 1 x 10^-14m. What is the ground state energy of the confined neutron?

answer in MeV?

Homework Equations

En = h^2/8mL^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am getting the wrong answer... I am getting:

(6.626e-34)^2/((8)(1.675e-27)(1e-14)^2) = 3.28e-13

That is wrong... anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the actual answer? Are you expressing it in MeV?

I don't have the answer, I have to submit electronically and I am getting it wrong.

I'm not sure actually...that was my issue...maybe I am not converting to MeV. Any ideas?

Remember, Planck's constant that you applied is in J*S. Thus your units is in joules. Convert your answer to MeV :)

Well, I multiplied my answer by 6.24e12 because 1J = 6.24e12MeV, and I got 2.05, that is still wrong.

Related to What Is the Correct Ground State Energy of a Neutron in a Box?

What is the "ground state energy problem"?

The ground state energy problem is a concept in quantum mechanics that refers to the difficulty in accurately predicting the lowest energy state of a system. This is due to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be precisely known at the same time.

Why is the ground state energy important?

The ground state energy provides important information about the stability and behavior of a system. It is also used to calculate other properties of the system, such as the excited states and bond energies.

What factors affect the accuracy of ground state energy calculations?

The accuracy of ground state energy calculations can be affected by various factors such as the complexity of the system, the level of approximation used in the calculations, and the computational resources available.

How do scientists approach the ground state energy problem?

Scientists use various mathematical and computational methods to approximate the ground state energy of a system. These methods include the variational method, perturbation theory, and numerical methods such as Monte Carlo simulations.

What are some practical applications of understanding ground state energy?

Understanding ground state energy has important applications in fields such as material science, chemistry, and physics. It can help in the development of new materials, predicting chemical reactions, and designing electronic devices.