What is the Correct Equation for Pn and Qn in Permutation and Combination?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of Pn and Qn, which represent the number of ways to select 3 people out of 'n' sitting in a row or circle, respectively. The question asks to determine which calculation, Pn or Qn, is incorrect when their difference is equal to 6.
nik jain

Homework Statement

Let Pn denotes the no. of ways of selecting 3 people out of 'n' sitting in a row if no two of them are
consecutive and Qn is the corresponding figure when they are in circle .
If Pn - Qn = 6 , then 'n' is equal to:

The Attempt at a Solution

Pn = (n-2) C 3
Qn = (n-3) C 3
But I am getting wrong answer.
Please tell which one is wrong Pn or Qn .

Physics news on Phys.org
hi nik jain! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 buttons just above the Reply box :wink:)
nik jain said:
Pn = (n-2) C 3
Qn = (n-3) C 3

i'm mystified …

why do you think that either of these is correct? :confused:

but anyway you don't need to find Pn or Qn, you only need the difference

what selections are in Pn but not in Qn ? :wink:

Related to What is the Correct Equation for Pn and Qn in Permutation and Combination?

1. What is the difference between permutation and combination?

Permutation and combination are both mathematical concepts used for counting and arranging objects. The main difference between the two is that permutation refers to the arrangement of objects in a specific order, whereas combination refers to the selection of objects without any particular order.

2. How do I calculate the number of permutations and combinations?

The formula for calculating permutations is n!/(n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being arranged. For combinations, the formula is n!/r!(n-r)!. It is important to note that the order of objects does not matter in combinations, so the formula takes into account the number of ways the same objects can be arranged.

3. When do I use permutations and when do I use combinations?

Permutations are used when the order of objects matters, such as in a race or a password combination. Combinations are used when the order of objects does not matter, such as in choosing a group of people for a committee or a lottery draw.

4. Can I use permutations and combinations in real life?

Yes, permutations and combinations are used in various real-life scenarios, such as in sports competitions, lottery draws, and password combinations. They are also used in fields such as statistics, probability, and computer science.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving permutation and combination problems?

Yes, there are various shortcuts and tricks for solving permutation and combination problems, such as using factorial notation and understanding the concept of repetition in permutations. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with the formulas and concepts to solve problems efficiently.