What is the correct angle between T and U in the cross product?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the sine of the angle between two vectors, T and U. The formula AxB = ABsin(alpha) is used, and after calculations, the angle is found to be 45 degrees. However, there is some confusion about the answer being incorrect and the use of trigonometry to find the angle. The conversation concludes with the correct answer being 45 degrees based on the dot product formula.
Linus Pauling
1. Find the sine of the angle between and .

NV_vp.jpg

2. AxB = ABsin(alpha)

3. I know T = (3,1,0) and U = (2,4,0), and I calculated that V = TxU = (0,0,10), so the magnitude of V is 10.

Then I did 10 = sqrt(10)*sqrt(20)*sin(alpha)

Divided 10 by sqrt(10)*sqrt(20), took the inverse sine, and obtained 45 degrees, which is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't studied 3-D vectors, but this problem can be simplified into a 2-D diagram, and quite easily since z=0 for both vectors.
I also got the answer of 45o by answering it with trigonometry.

But the question does say find the sine of the angle, correct? So are we looking for the answer [itex]1/\sqrt{2}[/itex] ?

We are not finding sine(theta), we are finding theta, which is what I calculated.

You have already been told that 45 degrees ([itex]\pi/4[/itex] radians) is the correct answer. What makes you say it is incorrect?

As a check, use the fact that [itex]\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}= |\vec{u}||\vec{v}|cos(\theta)[/itex]. Since, here, [itex]|\vec{u}\times\vec{v}|= \vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}[/itex], [itex]sin(\theta)= cos(\theta)[/itex] and the angle, being in the first quadrant must be [itex]\pi/4[/itex].

Related to What is the correct angle between T and U in the cross product?

1. What is the definition of a cross product?

The cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a third vector as output. It is also known as the vector product or cross multiplication.

2. How do you calculate the cross product of two vectors?

To calculate the cross product of two vectors, you first need to determine the direction of the resulting vector by using the right-hand rule. Then, you can use the formula:

a x b = (aybz - azby)i - (axbz - azbx)j + (axby - aybx)k

where i, j, and k are the unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.

3. What are some real-life applications of the cross product?

The cross product has many applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in calculating torque, determining magnetic fields, and analyzing fluid flow. It is also used in computer graphics to determine the orientation of 3D objects in virtual environments.

4. How does the cross product relate to the dot product?

The cross product and the dot product are both mathematical operations involving vectors. However, they have different properties and produce different results. The dot product results in a scalar quantity, while the cross product results in a vector quantity. Additionally, the dot product measures the similarity between two vectors, while the cross product measures the perpendicularity between two vectors.

5. Are there any special properties of the cross product?

Yes, the cross product has several special properties, including being anti-commutative (a x b = -b x a), distributive (a x (b + c) = a x b + a x c), and orthogonal to both of the input vectors. It is also equal to the area of the parallelogram formed by the two input vectors.