What is the commutator between S_{z}^{n} and S_{y}?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the commutator of [S_z^n, S_y], where S_z and S_y are quantum mechanical spin matrices. The speaker explains that they need to commute S_y with an exponential that contains S_z, so they expand the exponential as a series which contains S_z^n. They then discuss the anticommutator relation for S_x and S_z and conclude that the commutator will only be non-zero if n is odd, otherwise it will commute. They also mention noticing patterns with even and odd powers of the Pauli matrices and how this relates to finding the commutator.
spacelike

Homework Statement

The entire problem is quite in depth. But what I am having trouble with is just a small part of it, and it boils down to finding the following commutator:
[tex]\left[ S_{z}^{n},S_{y}\right][/tex]
where S_{z} and S_{y} are the quantum mechanical spin matrices.

The reason is that I have to commute S_{y} with an exponential that has S_{z} in it. So I expand the exponential as a series which contains S_{z}^{n}, so I need to find the above commutator.

Homework Equations

[tex]\left[ S_{z},S_{y}\right] =-i\hbar S_{x}[/tex]
[tex]\{ S_{x},S_{z}\}=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]S_{z}^{n}S_{y}=S_{z}^{n-1}(S_{z}S_{y})=S_{z}^{n-1}(S_{y}S_{z}-i\hbar S_{x})[/tex]
[tex]=S_{z}^{n-2}(S_{z}S_{y}S_{z}-i\hbar S_{z}S_{x})[/tex]
[tex]=S_{z}^{n-2}((S_{y}S_{z}-i\hbar S_{x})S_{z}-i\hbar S_{z}S_{x})[/tex]
[tex]=S_{z}^{n-2}(S_{y}S_{z}S_{z}-i\hbar (S_{x}S_{z}+S_{z}S_{x}))[/tex]
By the anticommutator relation for X and Z given above, the inner parenthesis is zero:
[tex]=S_{z}^{n-2}S_{y}S_{z}S_{z}[/tex]

This seems very strange though, otherwise it appears that if I keep doing this then as long as "n" is an even number, then [itex]\left[ S_{z}^{n},S_{y}\right][/itex] will commute.
and that the commutator will only be different from zero, with a value of [itex]-i\hbar S_{x}S_{z}^{n-1}[/itex] only if "n" is odd.

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try taking a few powers of the pauli matrices and notice what happens to even and odd powers of them, you should see why an even power of any pauli matrix commutes with any power of any pauli matrix
With this knowledge in hand, notcie what [itex]-i \hbar S_x S_z^{n-1}[/itex] reduces to for odd n!

You are right but you went on quite a convoluted path to get there :p

Related to What is the commutator between S_{z}^{n} and S_{y}?

1. What is a spin commutator?

A spin commutator is a mathematical operation that involves two operators, A and B, acting on a quantum system. It is defined as [A,B] = AB - BA, where AB represents the operation of applying operator A followed by operator B, and BA represents the operation of applying operator B followed by operator A. It is used to determine how two operators interact with each other and whether they commute (i.e. yield the same result regardless of the order in which they are applied) or not.

2. What are the physical implications of "Spin commutators, [Sz^n, Sy]"?

The spin commutator [Sz^n, Sy] is a specific example of a spin commutator, where Sz^n represents the operator for the z-component of angular momentum raised to the nth power, and Sy represents the operator for the y-component of angular momentum. This commutator is used to study the relationship between these two components of angular momentum in a quantum system, and it has important implications for understanding the behavior of particles with spin.

3. How is the spin commutator [Sz^n, Sy] related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. In terms of spin, this principle can be expressed as the uncertainty between the z and y components of angular momentum. The spin commutator [Sz^n, Sy] plays a role in this uncertainty, as it can be used to determine the allowed values of these components and the degree of uncertainty between them.

4. What are the applications of studying spin commutators?

Studying spin commutators has numerous applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, particle physics, and materials science. It can help in understanding the behavior of particles with spin, such as electrons and protons, and can also be used in the development of quantum technologies, such as quantum computing. In materials science, spin commutators are used to study the properties of materials with magnetic properties, such as ferromagnets.

5. Are there any other commonly studied spin commutators besides [Sz^n, Sy]?

Yes, there are many other spin commutators that are commonly studied, such as [Sx^n, Sy], [Sx^n, Sz], [Sy^n, Sz], and [S^2, Sx]. These commutators involve different combinations of spin operators and can provide insight into various aspects of quantum systems, such as the relationship between different components of angular momentum, the uncertainty principle, and the properties of spin in different materials.