What is the charge ratio between two equipotential spheres?

In summary, a spherical potential conductor of radius R1 is charged to 20kV and then connected to a second sphere faraway. The potential of the first sphere drops to 12kV and the question is to find the radius of the second sphere. Using the equations V=kq/r and Q=CV, it is determined that the ratio of charge between the two spheres is equal to the ratio of their radii. By assuming that the second sphere is initially uncharged, it can be determined that the potential of the second sphere is also 12kV. Using the principle of charge conservation, the equations k*(q1+q2)/R1 = 2x10^4 and k*q1/R1 = k
nns91

Homework Statement

A spherical potential conductor of radius R1 is charged to 20kV. When it is connected by a long, fine wire to a second sphere faraway. its potential drops to 12kV. What is the radius of the second sphere.

Homework Equations

V=kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that R2= R1* (q2/q1). Thus, I need to find the ratio q2/q1. I am kinda lost in what to use to figure out q2/q1 ratio.

k*q1/R1 = 2x10^4 and k*q2/R2= 4x10^3 (because 2 spheres are equipotential at 12kV and sphere 1 drops 8kV so sphere 2 has to gain 8kV so initially sphere 2 is at 4kV)

k*q1/R1 = k*q2/R2 = 12x10^3.

With these 3 equations, I am still unable to figure out what is q2/q1. Can you guys give me some hints and suggestions ?

Physics news on Phys.org
nns91 said:
[ (because 2 spheres are equipotential at 12kV and sphere 1 drops 8kV so sphere 2 has to gain 8kV so initially sphere 2 is at 4kV)

Sphere 2 only will gain the same amount of voltage if it has the same radius.
I think you are supposed to assume sphere 2 is initially uncharged. If it has an initial charge, you can't do the problem. Sphere 2 could be gigantic, with a potential slightly below 12 kv, or tiny with a very large negative potential.

the spheres act as capacitors with capacity r/k

There is no need to consider them as capacitors.
Your equations are almost there, except for the part on sphere 2 being at 4kV initially of course, but do take care of the variables (why do i see q1 appear twice in different situations?)
Hint: Charge is conserved throughout the transfer process
That should allow you to simplify the expressions.

So if I assume that sphere 2 is uncharged initially, then I should make its potential equal to 12kV right ? since 2 spheres are equipotential.

Oh, if charged is conserve then kq1/R1= 20kV = kq1/R1= 12kV ?

nns91 said:
So if I assume that sphere 2 is uncharged initially, then I should make its potential equal to 12kV right ? since 2 spheres are equipotential.
Yes. Sphere 1 is at 20kV and Sphere 2 at 0V initially, with both becoming 12kV after charge flows between the two spheres

nns91 said:
Oh, if charged is conserve then kq1/R1= 20kV = kq1/R1= 12kV ?
Er..no...that equation clearly doesn't make sense - 20 = 12??
Charge conservation in the sense that if Sphere 1 possesses Q coulombs of charge initially, and q2 coulombs of charge flow from Sphere 1 to 2, leaving sphere 1 with q1 coulombs remaining, then clearly q1 + q2 = Q.
Then your originally formulated equations can be written as:
k*(q1+q2)/R1 = 2x10^4
k*q1/R1 = k*q2/R2 = 12x10^3
I guess you can carry on?

Related to What is the charge ratio between two equipotential spheres?

1. What are equipotential spheres?

Equipotential spheres are conductive spheres that have a uniform potential, meaning that all points on the surface of the sphere have the same electric potential. This means that there is no electric field within the sphere.

2. How are equipotential spheres used in electricity?

Equipotential spheres are used in electricity to demonstrate the concept of equipotential surfaces. These surfaces represent areas in which the electric potential is constant and are used to visualize the electric field in a given region.

3. How are equipotential spheres created?

Equipotential spheres are created by connecting a conductive sphere to a power source, such as a battery, and allowing it to reach a steady state. This ensures that the electric potential is the same at all points on the surface of the sphere.

4. What are the applications of equipotential spheres?

Equipotential spheres have various applications in physics and engineering. They are used in experiments to study electric fields and in the design of electronic circuits to ensure that all components are at the same potential.

5. How do equipotential spheres affect the movement of charged particles?

Equipotential spheres do not affect the movement of charged particles within them since the electric field is zero. However, they can influence the movement of charged particles outside the sphere by creating a region of constant potential which can guide the particles.