What is the center of mass in a triangular beam?

In summary, the center of mass of a triangle is not the on the line which divides the triangle into equal areas. To find the center of mass, you need to integrate the area under the triangle. The moment of a strip of area about the point x = 0 is x*dA. If you divide the moment by the load, then you should get x-bar = 2*L/3.
davidhansson
Hello,, I'm reading about beams in mechanics of matrials. But I'm a bit stuck because of one thing that I either don't understand or just don't comply with!

So, here's a picture from the book: picture 003

It says that the center of mass should be at 2/3 of the length..

I tried to calculate the center of mass on my own using integrals which states that it should be L/√2

here's my solution using a and b instead of L, am I doing something wrong? : pisture 004

Attachments

• WP_20131021_003.jpg
    WP_20131021_003.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 487
  • WP_20131021_004.jpg
    WP_20131021_004.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The site where your pictures are stored requires, "Please sign in or register to access this page.
"

You can upload and attach your pictures to a PF post if you use the Advanced editing panel.

Likes 1 person
When writing integrals, it is ALWAYS important to write the dx or dy, especially so you don't get confused about which variable you are integrating.

The integral you set up, presumably to calculate the moment of the load about the end of the triangle, is incorrectly formulated, which is why you get an erroneous result.

SteamKing said:
When writing integrals, it is ALWAYS important to write the dx or dy, especially so you don't get confused about which variable you are integrating.

The integral you set up, presumably to calculate the moment of the load about the end of the triangle, is incorrectly formulated, which is why you get an erroneous result.

Ok, thanks for help! I found something that were wrong in the calculation,, the integral should equal a*b/4 (area/2), because I'm looking for a x value that gives half of the area, which I call p! but the answer is still b/√2 otherwise, is there something incorrect with the integral? I also tried the result to se if it were half of the area by puting values in a and b, and it were half of the area!

Is there something that I don't get?

davidhansson said:
Ok, thanks for help! I found something that were wrong in the calculation,, the integral should equal a*b/4 (area/2), because I'm looking for a x value that gives half of the area, which I call p! but the answer is still b/√2 otherwise, is there something incorrect with the integral? I also tried the result to se if it were half of the area by puting values in a and b, and it were half of the area!

Is there something that I don't get?

Yes. The center of mass of a triangle is not the on the line which divides the triangle into equal areas.

If you take a small strip of area under the triangle, you get dA = y*dL. If the load is w0 at x = L,
then y = w0*x/L for any location between x = 0 and x = L.

We can rewrite dA = y*dL as dA = (w0*x/L)*dx. The moment dM of this strip of area about the point x = 0 is dM = x*dA = x*(w0*x/L)*dx = (w0*(x^2)/L)*dx

If you integrate dA and dM between x = 0 and x = L, you should obtain the total load and the moment of that load about x = 0. If you divide the moment by the load, then you should get x-bar = 2*L/3.

ok, I don't knowe if I'm making the integration in the right way. But I get W0*(L^2)/3

dM=(W0*(x^2)/L)dx Integration gives: M=W0*(x^3/3L) -->

Inserting L and dividing with W0: (L^3/3L) --> L^2/3

Look, I'm not sure why this is so difficult for you, but these are really simple integrations to do:

dA = (w0*x/L)*dx

integrating both sides and evaluating from x = 0 to x = L:

A = (w0*x^2/(2*L) from x = 0 to x = L
A = w0*L^2/(2*L) - 0 = w0 * L/2

For the moment:

dM = (w0*(x^2)/L)*dx

Integrating:

M = w0 * (x^3)/(3*L)

evaluating from x = 0 to x = L:

M = w0 * (L^3)/(3*L) - 0 = w0 * (L^2)/3

Now, to find the center of mass:

c.o.m. = M / A

c.o.m. = w0 * (L^2) / 3 divided by w0 * L / 2

c.o.m. = (L^2)/3 * 2 / L

c.o.m. = 2 * L^2 / (3 * L) = 2 * L / 3

Neither do I..

Ok, I think it was the M/A part I forgot,,

I think I got it now,, thanks!

Related to What is the center of mass in a triangular beam?

What is the center of mass in a triangle?

The center of mass in a triangle is the point where the weight of the triangle is evenly distributed in all directions. It is also known as the centroid or the center of gravity.

How is the center of mass in a triangle calculated?

The center of mass in a triangle can be calculated by finding the average of the coordinates of the three vertices. This can be done by adding the x-coordinates and dividing by 3, and adding the y-coordinates and dividing by 3.

Does the center of mass in a triangle always lie inside the triangle?

Yes, the center of mass in a triangle always lies inside the triangle. This is because it is the average of the coordinates of the vertices, which are all within the boundaries of the triangle.

What is the significance of the center of mass in a triangle?

The center of mass in a triangle is an important concept in physics and engineering. It helps in determining the stability and balance of a triangle structure, and is also used in calculations for rotational motion and stability.

Can the center of mass in a triangle be outside the triangle?

No, the center of mass in a triangle cannot be outside the triangle. This is because it is the average of the coordinates of the vertices, which are all within the boundaries of the triangle. If the triangle is irregular, the center of mass can lie on one of the sides, but it will still be within the boundaries of the triangle.