What is the cause of this sound from the tube light?

In summary: These would be used to reduce the sudden voltage when starting the fluo tube and to keep the filament from oscillating.Understood.The ballast takes the AC Mains power in (120V or 240V, etc.), and converts it to the high voltage that is used to turn on the florescent tube.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have a tube light at my home which produces this sound:

The sound can be heard for a long time every time the light is switched on, but it stops after about half an hour of switching on the light.

What is the cause of this sound?

Science news on Phys.org
Sounds like the ballast is going bad. Do you have another similar light fixture that you can swap the light tube with?

Likes Wrichik Basu
berkeman said:
Sounds like the ballast is going bad. Do you have another similar light fixture that you can swap the light tube with?
Yes, I changed the light, but the sound continues.

As you are saying, I also changed the fixture, and the sound stopped.

What does this show? And what is the ballast?

Wrichik Basu said:
And what is the ballast?
The ballast takes the AC Mains power in (120V or 240V, etc.), and converts it to the high voltage used to turn on the florescent tube. It is basically an inexpensive switching power supply, and when it starts to fail, it can make an audible buzzing noise.

Likes Wrichik Basu
berkeman said:
The ballast takes the AC Mains power in (120V or 240V, etc.), and converts it to the high voltage
I thought that the term "ballast" was used for the series Inductor that's used to limit the current flowing through the very low resistance of the discharge tube, once it has struck. But I am referring to the ordinary domestic flow tubes which strikes easily with mains volts after the starter circuit has heated the filaments at each end and produced its thermionic electrons.

Likes Wrichik Basu and Merlin3189
sophiecentaur said:
I thought that the term "ballast" was used for the series Inductor
It could just be a difference in terminology country-by-country. The Wikipedia article follows the US terminology, I think. :smile:

Also the terminology of the man in the local electrical factors in Essex.
Sometimes a resistor or even a filament bulb was used as 'ballast' for a common or garden fluo tube.

Related to What is the cause of this sound from the tube light?

1. What is causing the buzzing sound from the tube light?

The buzzing sound from a tube light is caused by the electrical current flowing through the ballast, which regulates the voltage and current in the light. This current can create vibrations in the ballast, resulting in the buzzing sound.

2. Why does the tube light make a humming noise?

The humming noise from a tube light is typically caused by the filament inside the bulb vibrating. This can occur if the bulb is not securely attached or if the light is not installed properly.

3. Is the buzzing sound from a tube light dangerous?

In most cases, the buzzing sound from a tube light is not dangerous. However, if the buzzing sound is accompanied by flickering or dimming of the light, it could indicate a problem with the electrical wiring or ballast and should be inspected by a professional.

4. Can the buzzing sound from a tube light be fixed?

In some cases, the buzzing sound from a tube light can be fixed by securely attaching the bulb or re-installing the light. However, if the buzzing sound persists, it could be a sign of a faulty ballast or other electrical issue that may require professional repair.

5. Does the type of tube light affect the buzzing sound?

Yes, the type of tube light can affect the buzzing sound. For example, LED tube lights are known to produce less buzzing or humming noises compared to fluorescent tube lights. Additionally, older or low-quality tube lights may also produce more buzzing sounds than newer, high-quality ones.