What is the cause of space expansion in the universe?

In summary: So you can use either description, whichever is more convenient for the question at hand.In summary, space expansion is a phenomenon that is observed and described through the Hubble Law, which states that space expands at a rate of 67km/3ly/second. The cause of this expansion is still unknown, but it is influenced by gravity and dark energy. The expansion is described as either space itself expanding or objects in the universe moving away from each other, both of which are valid ways to understand and explain the phenomenon.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
Thanks readers for giving me so many explanations about space expansion in my previous thread.
However, I've forgot to ask 2 things that I'd like to know the answer.
Space is expanding. According to Hubble Law?
What cause space expands?
1. Dark Energy?
2. Does space its own have property to expand at certain rate?

Thanks for any explanation. :smile:

Space news on Phys.org
Stephanus said:
Dear PF Forum,
Thanks readers for giving me so many explanations about space expansion in my previous thread.
However, I've forgot to ask 2 things that I'd like to know the answer.
Space is expanding. According to Hubble Law?
What cause space expands?
1. Dark Energy?
2. Does space its own have property to expand at certain rate?

Thanks for any explanation. :smile:
Space expands because it was expanding before now. It retains the inertia of the previous expansion. Gravity determines how that expansion changes over time, and dark energy is a factor in influencing how gravity operates on the expansion.

But what caused the expansion to start in the first place? That we don't know.

Likes Stephanus
Chalnoth said:
Space expands because it was expanding before now. It retains the inertia of the previous expansion...

Thanks Chalnoth for your answer.
But I'd like to ask further,
What do you mean by "space RETAINS its inertia"?
Or do the GALAXIES retain their inertia?
According to Hubble Law, it's space that expand. 67km/3ly/second if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks.

Steven

Stephanus said:
Thanks Chalnoth for your answer.
But I'd like to ask further,
What do you mean by "space RETAINS its inertia"?
Or do the GALAXIES retain their inertia?
You can describe it either way. The two descriptions, "space is expanding," and, "objects in the universe are moving away from one another," are two different ways of describing the same underlying phenomenon.

Likes Stephanus

Related to What is the cause of space expansion in the universe?

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is believed to make up about 70% of the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

2. How is dark energy different from dark matter?

Dark energy and dark matter are two separate concepts. While dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy, dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation. Dark matter is believed to make up about 27% of the universe.

3. How do scientists study dark energy?

Scientists study dark energy through various methods, including observations of supernovae, measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation, and simulations using mathematical models. These methods help scientists understand the effects of dark energy on the universe's expansion.

4. What is space expansion?

Space expansion is the theory that the universe is continuously expanding. It suggests that galaxies are moving away from each other, causing the space between them to increase. This expansion is believed to be driven by dark energy.

5. How does dark energy affect the fate of the universe?

The presence of dark energy is believed to have a significant impact on the fate of the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe, which could eventually lead to the "Big Rip" scenario, where the universe expands at an exponential rate and eventually tears apart. However, more research is needed to fully understand the role of dark energy in the fate of the universe.