What is the cause of Earth's magnetic field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of the Earth's magnetic field and its cause. The theory of dynamo suggests that the rotating, convecting, and electrically conducting fluid in the Earth's core/mantle generates the magnetic field. This theory is also applicable to other celestial bodies such as stars.
Rislam169
I am a student of science.I know that the compus works for magnetic field on earth.But I don't know the actual cause of this magnetic field.Compus always set in north and south direction. Sometime I thing ,Is there any magnetic hill on north or south poll?Or this is the cause of spin of the earth.

But what is right description of this magnetic field?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Earth's magnetic field is generated by a dynamo effect in its core/mantle.

From wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamo_theory

In physics, the dynamo theory proposes a mechanism by which a celestial body such as Earth or a star generates a magnetic field. The dynamo theory describes the process through which a rotating, convecting, and electrically conducting fluid can maintain a magnetic field over astronomical time scales. A dynamo is thought to be the source of the Earth's magnetic field, as well as the magnetic fields of other planets.

Related to What is the cause of Earth's magnetic field?

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force is exerted on a charged particle. It is created by the motion of electrically charged particles, such as electrons, and can be either permanent or induced.

How is the magnetic field on Earth created?

The magnetic field on Earth is created by the spinning of the Earth's liquid iron-nickel core, which generates electric currents. These electric currents create a magnetic field that surrounds and protects the Earth.

Why is the magnetic field on Earth important?

The magnetic field on Earth is important for several reasons. It helps protect the Earth from harmful solar radiation, creates a compass for navigation, and plays a crucial role in the formation of the auroras.

Is the magnetic field on Earth constant?

No, the magnetic field on Earth is not constant. It is constantly changing in strength and direction, and has even reversed its polarity numerous times in Earth's history. However, these changes occur over long periods of time and are not noticeable in our day-to-day lives.

Can the magnetic field on Earth be disrupted?

Yes, the magnetic field on Earth can be disrupted by natural events such as solar storms or by human activities like mining and drilling. However, the Earth's magnetic field is resilient and has the ability to recover from disruptions.