What Is the Cardinality of Nested Power Sets?

• Thread starter battousai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power Sets
Therefore, |P(A)|= 2n.In summary, the cardinality of the power set of a set with n elements is always a power of 2, and can be found by multiplying 2 by itself n times. This is because for each element in the set, there are 2 possibilities: either it is included in a subset or it is not. This can also be proven by induction on the number of elements in the set.
battousai

Homework Statement

I'm having a little bit of trouble grasping the idea of null sets and power sets. Please check my answers to the following questions:

Determine the cardinality:

a. P([itex]\oslash[/itex])
b. P(P([itex]\oslash[/itex]))
c. P(P(P([itex]\oslash[/itex])))

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

a. since the set in question is the null set, the answer is {[itex]\oslash[/itex]} - cardinality 1
b. since the set in question is the set that contains the null set, the answer is {[itex]\oslash[/itex],{[itex]\oslash[/itex]}} - cardinality 2
c. Now this is one that I'm starting to have trouble with. I can simplify the problem to P({[itex]\oslash[/itex],{[itex]\oslash[/itex]}}). My answer is: {[itex]\oslash[/itex],{[itex]\oslash[/itex]},{[itex]\oslash[/itex],{[itex]\oslash[/itex]}}} - cardinality 3.

Is that right, or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi battousai! :smile:

battousai said:

Homework Statement

I'm having a little bit of trouble grasping the idea of null sets and power sets. Please check my answers to the following questions:

Determine the cardinality:

a. P([itex]\oslash[/itex])
b. P(P([itex]\oslash[/itex]))
c. P(P(P([itex]\oslash[/itex])))

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

a. since the set in question is the null set, the answer is {[itex]\oslash[/itex]} - cardinality 1
b. since the set in question is the set that contains the null set, the answer is {[itex]\oslash[/itex],{[itex]\oslash[/itex]}} - cardinality 2

Correct!

c. Now this is one that I'm starting to have trouble with. I can simplify the problem to P({[itex]\oslash[/itex],{[itex]\oslash[/itex]}}). My answer is: {[itex]\oslash[/itex],{[itex]\oslash[/itex]},{[itex]\oslash[/itex],{[itex]\oslash[/itex]}}} - cardinality 3.

If I have difficulty in seeing things, I introduce some variables. Let's do that here. Put [itex]A=\emptyset,~~B=\{\emptyset\}[/tex].
Then the question asks you to find P({A,B}), can you do that?

Hint: to see immediately if an answer is right or wrong: the cardinality of a power set is always a power of 2. In particular, if X has n elements, then |P(X)|=2n.

micromass said:
Hi battousai! :smile:
Correct!
If I have difficulty in seeing things, I introduce some variables. Let's do that here. Put [itex]A=\emptyset,~~B=\{\emptyset\}[/tex].
Then the question asks you to find P({A,B}), can you do that?

Hm, I get cardinality 4 when I do it with A and B. Now when we go back to the original elements, what would be the elements of the power set?

[itex]\oslash[/itex] , {[itex]\oslash[/itex]}, {{[itex]\oslash[/itex]}}, {[itex]\oslash[/itex],{[itex]\oslash[/itex]}}

Is that answer correct now?

micromass said:
Hint: to see immediately if an answer is right or wrong: the cardinality of a power set is always a power of 2. In particular, if X has n elements, then |P(X)|=2n.

That's neat! How does one prove that?

battousai said:
Hm, I get cardinality 4 when I do it with A and B. Now when we go back to the original elements, what would be the elements of the power set?

[itex]\oslash[/itex] , {[itex]\oslash[/itex]}, {{[itex]\oslash[/itex]}}, {[itex]\oslash[/itex],{[itex]\oslash[/itex]}}

Is that answer correct now?

That's good!

That's neat! How does one prove that?

Hmm, I hope you know something of combinatorics. You can form an arbitrary subset of X by choosing for each element of X whether that element belongs to X or not. For example, the subset {0} of {0,1} is formed by deciding that 0 is in the subset and that 1 is not.
So, for each element, we have 2 choices: in the subset or not. So in total, we have 2*2*2*...*2=2n possibilities! So that's the size of the power set!

I don't know much about combinatorics, but that explanation makes sense. Thanks!

You can also prove that if |A|= n, then |P(A)|= 2n by induction on n. If A is empty, |A|= 0, then P(A) contains only the empty set, as you showed, so |P(A)|= 1= 20.

If A is not empty, let x be a specific member of A. There exist two kinds of subsets of A- those that contain x and those that do not. A, with x removed, has n-1 members so there are 2n-1 subsets of A that do not contain x. But every subset of A that does contain x is just a subset of A that does not contain x union {x}. That is, there are also 2n-1 subsets of A that do contain x. The total of all subsets of A is 2n-1+ 2n-1= 2(2n-1)= 2n.

Related to What Is the Cardinality of Nested Power Sets?

1. What is a null set?

A null set, also known as an empty set, is a set that contains no elements. It is represented by the symbol ∅ or {}.

2. What is a power set?

A power set is a set that contains all possible subsets of a given set. For example, the power set of the set {1, 2} would be {{}, {1}, {2}, {1, 2}}.

3. How do you determine the number of elements in a power set?

The number of elements in a power set can be determined by using the formula 2^n, where n is the number of elements in the original set. For example, if a set has 3 elements, its power set will have 2^3 = 8 elements.

4. Can a null set be a subset of a power set?

Yes, a null set can be a subset of a power set. This is because every set, including the null set, is a subset of its own power set.

5. How are null sets and power sets used in mathematics?

Null sets and power sets are used in various mathematical concepts, such as set theory, combinatorics, and probability. They are also used in computer science, particularly in the study of algorithms and data structures.