What is the box in particle in a box?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantization of energy and its relation to wavelengths in a confined box. The speaker is trying to explain this concept to high school chemistry students using an approach from Atkins' "Chemical Principles". However, there is confusion about what the box represents - whether it is an energy level, orbital, or something else. The other person clarifies that the box is simply a volume with impenetrable walls for the particle and is not an accurate model for atoms. It is primarily a thought experiment that helps illustrate the behavior of quantum mechanical systems.
mishima
Hi, I am trying to demonstrate the relation between quantization of energy and wavelengths in a confined box for high school chemistry students. I am following an approach found in Atkins' "Chemical Principles". Anyways, its quite understandable, but I get the feeling maybe the box isn't actually what I think it is. I've been thinking of the box as the energy level (shell). But is it actually the orbital? Or something else entirely? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a bad question? I understand its just a model, but what is the box analogous to for say, an atom of hydrogen?

A one dimensional box is a potential V(x) which is infinite for e.g. x<0, zero for x>=0 and x<=L and again infinite for x>L.
It is not an energy level. The energies and orbitals arise when you solve the Schroedinger equation for a particle moving in that potential.

The box is really just a box: a volume with walls which are impenetrable for the particle. Although this is a valid approximation for some real physical systems, it is primarily a Gedankenexperiment which is easy to calculate and illustrates the behaviour of quantum mechanical systems. Especially, it is a quite bad model for atoms because they have no sharp boundary like the box.

Related to What is the box in particle in a box?

1. What is the concept of "particle in a box"?

The concept of "particle in a box" refers to the theoretical model of a particle confined within a one-dimensional box or potential well. This model is often used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles in a bound state.

2. How does the particle behave inside the box?

The behavior of the particle inside the box is described by its wave function, which represents the probability of finding the particle at a specific location within the box. The particle can only exist in certain energy levels, known as quantum states, within the box.

3. What is the significance of the box in this model?

The box represents the boundaries or constraints within which the particle is confined. It is used to simplify the mathematics and better understand the behavior of particles in a confined space.

4. How does the size of the box affect the particle's behavior?

The size of the box directly affects the energy levels and allowed quantum states of the particle. A larger box allows for more energy levels and a larger range of quantum states, while a smaller box restricts the particle to a smaller number of energy levels and quantum states.

5. Can this model be applied to real-world systems?

While the "particle in a box" model is a simplified theoretical concept, it can be applied to real-world systems, such as electrons in an atom or molecules in a crystal lattice. It helps to explain the quantized energy levels and behavior of particles in confined spaces.