What is the Binding Energy of Carbon 12?

In summary: The problem gave a wrong value ...the relative atomic mass of the element instead of the atomic mass of the hydrogen isotope.
Typhon4ever

Homework Statement

Given that the mass of 1 H is 1.00794 amu, the mass of a neutron is 1.00865 amu and
that the energy equivalent of 1 atomic mass unit (AMU) is 931.5 MeV, what is the
binding energy of 12C (atomic mass = 12.00000 amu)?

Homework Equations

(σ) mass decrement=(W) mass of constituent particles (aka for helium 4 its 4p+4n+4e) - (M) actual mass of atom

E=σ*c^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to find the binding energy of carbon 12. So it's σ=W-12. W is 6p+6n+6e. I know the mass of n. But I do not know the mass of p and e.

I am told that 1H=1.00794 amu. So 1.00794=1p+1e-σ. I don't see how this helps me get values for p and e. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the Hydrogen atom ?

ehild

ehild said:
What is the Hydrogen atom ?

ehild

A hydrogen atom is one proton and one electron if I remember correctly. Am I supposed to derive the mass of p and e from this?

You need only the mass of 6p + 6e=6(p+e). The proton and electron do not merge in the hydrogen atom, they are relatively far away, you can take the mass of the hydrogen atom equal to the mass of the proton + mass of the electron.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
You need only the mass of 6p + 6e=6(p+e). The proton and electron do not merge in the hydrogen atom, they are relatively far away, you can take the mass of the hydrogen atom equal to the mass of the proton + mass of the electron.

ehild

Ooh I see. The lack of neutron means I can neglect binding energies. That makes much more sense thank you.

Hmm, I just checked the given values of the mass of a proton and electron from the book I have (where the question is from) and I notice that the given mass of the 1 H and what can be added from the following data does not add up.

proton: 1.007276 u
electron: 0.00054858 u
p+e=1.00782 which does not = 1.00794

:\

There is some confusion between the atomic mass and the relative atomic mass The atomic mass or relative isotopic mass refers to the mass of a single particle, and is fundamentally different from the quantities elemental atomic weight (also called "relative atomic mass") and standard atomic weight, both of which refer to averages (mathematical means) of naturally-occurring atomic mass values for samples of elements
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_mass

The hydrogen element occurs as mixture of hydrogen, deuterium and tritium isotopes, its relative atomic mass is 1.00794 ± 0.00001 u.
The hydrogen isotope, which consist of a single proton and a single electron, has atomic mass of 1.00782505 u.

So the problem gave a wrong value ...the relative atomic mass of the element instead of the atomic mass of the hydrogen isotope.

ehild

Last edited:

Related to What is the Binding Energy of Carbon 12?

What is binding energy?

Binding energy is the amount of energy required to completely separate the nucleus of an atom into its individual protons and neutrons.

Why is binding energy important in physics?

Binding energy is important because it is a fundamental property that helps us understand the stability and structure of atomic nuclei. It also plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions and processes.

How is the binding energy of C12 calculated?

The binding energy of C12 is calculated by subtracting the total mass of its individual protons and neutrons from the actual mass of a C12 nucleus. This difference in mass is then converted to energy using Einstein's famous equation, E=mc².

What is the significance of the binding energy curve for C12?

The binding energy curve for C12 shows how the binding energy changes as the number of nucleons (protons and neutrons) increases. It has a distinct peak at C12, indicating that it is the most stable isotope of carbon. This stability is what makes carbon-based life forms possible.

How does the binding energy of C12 compare to other elements?

The binding energy of C12 is relatively high compared to other elements. This means that C12 is more stable and requires a significant amount of energy to break apart its nucleus. As the number of nucleons increases, the binding energy also increases until it reaches iron, after which it starts to decrease.