What is the Best Tensor Analysis Text for Engineering Applications?

In summary, The book "Applications of Tensor Analysis" by A.J. McConnell is recommended for someone looking for a comprehensive text on tensor analysis that covers fluid applications, rank 3 EE applications, and even some rank 4 general relativity. The book is an old classic that is now available at a low price through Dover. It may take some time to get used to the index notation used in the book, but it is a useful tool once mastered. Additionally, the book may also be helpful in understanding topics such as Riemannian geometry and manifold theory.
rppearso
Hello,

Does anyone know of a REALLY good tensor analysis text. I am a chemical engineer who is working on a masters in EE and would like a text that covers fluids applications as well as rank 3 EE applications and even some rank 4 general relativity would be nice to see.

It would also be nice to see some rank 3 tensors in a 3D matrix to start with before jumping into indexes which can have confusing notation.

Hopefully someone can let me know of some really good texts that can take me from advanced engineering math (the highest math I have completed) and take me into tensors.

I have looked on amazon as well but am still unsure.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think "Applications of Tensor Analysis" by A.J. McConnell is hard to top, and it seems to cover all the topics you mention. (Although matrix notation is abandoned early on. You'll probably warm up to index notation once you get used to it.)

The book is an old classic that Dover picked up, so it's cheap, too! :eek:)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486603733/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thank you, that is perfect. I figure I will get the index method down but it would be nice to see the full blown rank 3 matrix at least on the front end so I can reference it if I get confused later on. For that price I may also get the fluids specific paper back text as well.

I love these little books, hopefully this is on par with grad div curl which saved my behind in the 2 semester series of 300 level E&M.

Would this also help me understand ramian geometry and manifold theory?

Related to What is the Best Tensor Analysis Text for Engineering Applications?

1. What is Tensor Analysis?

Tensor Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of tensors, which are mathematical objects that describe the relationships between different coordinates systems and their transformations.

2. Why is Tensor Analysis important in science?

Tensor Analysis is important in science because it provides a powerful framework for understanding and solving problems in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve multidimensional data and transformations.

3. What are the key concepts in Tensor Analysis?

The key concepts in Tensor Analysis include tensors, coordinate systems, transformations, and the rules for manipulating tensors such as addition, multiplication, and contraction.

4. What are some real-world applications of Tensor Analysis?

Tensor Analysis has many real-world applications, such as in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, general relativity, and machine learning. It is also used in image and signal processing, geology, and materials science.

5. Are there any recommended texts for learning Tensor Analysis?

Yes, there are several good tensor analysis texts available, including "A Student's Guide to Vectors and Tensors" by Fleisch, "Tensor Analysis for Physicists" by Hehl and Obukhov, and "Tensor Analysis" by Bishop and Goldberg. It is important to choose a text that best fits your level of knowledge and learning style.