What is the best resource for beginners to learn IDL programming?

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
In summary, the person is looking for a book to help them learn IDL, as they have little to no programming experience. The recommendation is "Practical IDL Programming" by Liam Gumley, available on Amazon. The IDL online help assumes some prior knowledge, but the recommended book assumes no prior knowledge. The person is also advised to join the IDL news group and visit the IDL forum for additional help. They are also informed that there may be affordable training options for academic/university individuals. Finally, the person asks for help with creating stacked plots and a sample code is requested.
Werg22
I'd like to get a book to get me up and running with IDL. I have little to no programming experience, so I'm looking for something that doesn't assume the reader has been exposed any sort of programming languages a priori. Any recommendation?

Technology news on Phys.org
IDL Programming

I've found "Practical IDL Programming" by Liam Gumley to be a pretty helpful book (I got mine off Amazon). The IDL online help is good, but does assume you have a cursory knowledge of where to start and what you're doing. The book above basically assumes you know nothing - it's really handy to get you to understand the basics.

The IDL news group is a helpful place to ask questions as well:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.idl-pvwave/topics

Finally, the forum on the IDL website can connect you directly with IDL's tech support:

http://www.ittvis.com/forum/ForumSearch.asp?urlCategory=2

I think they also offer cheap training for academic/university people, but I don't know the cost.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, thank you very much, I'll be looking into it.

Why the anonymity though?

Can anyone help, I am using IDL since March this year I dnt hv backgroud of programming, but I am trying my best to learn IDL. How to make stacked plots. I tried using over plot, I gives a plot sharing x-axis and y axis, but I want a plot that shares x- axis but not y-axis. so can you suggests and provides a sample of code for that. I real need ur help!

I highly recommend "An Introduction to Programming with IDL" by Kenneth P. Bowman. This book is specifically designed for beginners with little to no programming experience and provides a comprehensive overview of IDL's capabilities and syntax. It also includes practical examples and exercises to help you apply your knowledge. Additionally, the IDL website offers tutorials and resources for beginners to help you get started. I believe this book, along with the online resources, will provide you with a solid foundation in IDL and help you get up and running quickly.

Related to What is the best resource for beginners to learn IDL programming?

1. What is IDL and how is it used in scientific research?

IDL stands for Interactive Data Language and it is a programming language commonly used in scientific research. It is used for data analysis, visualization, and manipulation, as well as creating interactive graphics and applications.

2. How do I get started with IDL?

To get started with IDL, you will need to download and install the software on your computer. You can purchase a license from the official website or use a free alternative like GNU Data Language (GDL). Once installed, you can start learning the language by going through tutorials and examples provided by the IDL community.

3. What are the basic components of an IDL program?

An IDL program typically consists of a list of statements or commands that are executed in a specific order. It also includes variables, which store data values, and functions and procedures, which are used to perform specific tasks. In addition, IDL programs can include comments, which are notes that are ignored by the program but are helpful for the programmer to document and explain the code.

4. Can I customize the IDL interface?

Yes, you can customize the IDL interface to suit your preferences and needs. You can change the color scheme, font size, and layout of the interface, as well as add or remove certain tools and windows. This customization can help you work more efficiently and make the programming experience more enjoyable.

5. Are there any resources available for troubleshooting or getting help with IDL?

Yes, there are several resources available for troubleshooting or getting help with IDL. The official IDL website has a support page with documentation, tutorials, and a user forum where you can ask for help and advice. There are also online communities and social media groups dedicated to IDL, where you can connect with other users and share your knowledge and experiences.