What is the best physics magazine or journal?

• Thread starter ThomasSatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speakers discuss different science magazines and journals, including Science magazine, and their personal recommendations. They also mention the importance of researching any potential bias or disputes associated with a particular magazine. The magazines suggested include Physics World, New Scientist, American Scientist, and Physics Today. The conversation ends with a humorous mention of a "swimsuit issue" and a suggestion to check out Physics Tomorrow or The Next Day.
ThomasSatt
Hello, all. I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what the best science magazine or journal is. Currently, I'm looking at Science magazine, but if anyone knows of a better one or a problem with Science, please tell me. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as a 'best' magazine or journal. Different people like different things and each magazine will have its positives and negatives. Having said that, I have subscribed to, on a monthly basis, 'Physics World' which puts together all the recent news/updates that occur in Physics worldwide. 'New Scientist' is also good, but covers other topics as well.

Ok, thanks. I was wondering what is the most widely accepted and credible? I was also hoping to find one that published recent papers, but it also comprehensible, if that exists. I think that Science meets that description, but please tell me if it doesn't.

Last edited:
ThomasSatt said:
Hello, all. I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what the best science magazine or journal is. Currently, I'm looking at Science magazine, but if anyone knows of a better one or a problem with Science, please tell me. Thanks in advance.

Have you considered to google your favorite magazine together with words like 'bias' or 'disputed'?

I like the magazine "focus" not only is it physics but it also contains many other
Interesting things in the world of science anything from usain bolts record and they biological side of that to dark matter I strongly advise reading it i just got my subscription and can't wait for my new copies to arive. Hope you enjoy it if you do decide to go for it thanks Jack.

Thanks for the advice! Earlier today I decided on Physics Today and I can't wait to get the first issue.

ThomasSatt said:
Thanks for the advice! Earlier today I decided on Physics Today and I can't wait to get the first issue.

Ah, you must mean Physics Tomorrow Or The Next Day.

ThomasSatt said:

Did they toss in the swimsuit issue?

Related to What is the best physics magazine or journal?

1. What is the best physics magazine/journal?

The best physics magazine/journal is subjective and can vary depending on personal preferences and the specific topic of interest. Some popular options include Physics Today, Scientific American, Nature Physics, and Physical Review Letters.

2. How do I know if a physics magazine/journal is reputable?

A reputable physics magazine/journal should have a well-established history of publishing high-quality and peer-reviewed research in the field of physics. It should also be recognized and respected by other scientists and experts in the field.

3. What types of articles can I expect to find in a physics magazine/journal?

A physics magazine/journal typically publishes a variety of articles, including original research papers, review articles, news and commentary pieces, and editorials. Some may also feature interviews with prominent physicists or highlight recent advancements in the field.

4. Are there any open-access physics magazines/journals?

Yes, there are several open-access physics magazines/journals available, such as Journal of High Energy Physics, Frontiers in Physics, and New Journal of Physics. These journals provide free access to their articles, making them more accessible to a wider audience.

5. How can I submit my research to a physics magazine/journal?

To submit your research to a physics magazine/journal, you will need to follow the specific submission guidelines outlined on the journal's website. This typically involves preparing a manuscript according to the journal's formatting requirements and submitting it through an online submission system. The manuscript will then go through a peer-review process before a decision is made on whether to publish it.