What is the Best Order to Learn Mathematics and Physics for Deep Understanding?

• Thread starter theoristo
  • Start date
In summary, taking your undergraduate physics courses in this order will give you a strong background in mathematical concepts, which will greatly deepen your understanding of physics concepts. Additionally, computer programming will be a very important skill to have when you enter the workforce.
theoristo
For someone who want to understand physics concepts as deeply as possible with all the mathematics with it,what 's the order in which you should learn Mathematics and physics from zero,starting from from the most elementary? And at what pace?

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably, universities want their students to understand physics concepts as deeply as possible, and most of them have settled on approximately the same order of courses, which is laid out in their online catalogs. So just look at the curricula of some universities you would like to attend, and see what they do.

Thanks.

After completing the majority of my physics undergrad I wish I had taken my subjects in a different order. I find that, in general, I am introduced to mathematical concepts in my physics classes before being taught them in my math classes. This amounts to simply applying the procedure for solving a problem in physics without really understanding the underlying mathematics (for example, much of vector calculus was needed in my electricity and magnetism class prior to it being taught in multivariable & vector calculus class).You may want to note that my experience is mostly computational (which is often useful for physics, as you are often asked to solve integrals etc.), but I wish I had been exposed to a more rigourous treatment earlier. If you have free time I would recommend something like this - note that I've divided it up into a "regular" school year division which you may be able to compress depending on time and your own prior knowledge of the subjects).

First Year:
-Calculus 1
-Linear Algebra 1
-Introduction to Proofs
-Intro to Physics 1
-Computer Programming

-Calculus 2
-Ordinary Differential Equations
-Introduction to Proofs
-Intro to Physics 2
-Computer Programming

First Summer
-Calculus 3 & 4 (Multivariable and Vector Calculus)
-A proof-based rigourous calculus/analysis course
-Computer programming

At this point you should have developed a strong background with computational math in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, all of which are very useful to know prior to taking the typical "second year" physics classes. (For example, partial derivatives are common in thermodynamics; vector calculus is common in E&M; ODEs are common in mechanics; linear algebra is useful in QM). Furthermore, you will have started to appreciate calculus at a 'higher' level which will greatly deepen you understanding of math.

Second Year
-Complex Variables
-Thermodynamics
-Mechanics 1
-Proof-based multivariable calculus
-Practical physics 1 (computer programming)

-Electricity and Magnetism 1
-Quantum Mechanics 1
-Proof-based multivariable calculus
-(Partial Differential Equations)
-practical physics 2 (computer programming)

Second Summer
-Partial Differential Equations
-Computer programmingAt this point you should have a very strong understanding of all lower-level undergraduate physics and math concepts and have had the mathematical idea presented prior to their appearance in your physics classes. You should also be comfortable with many of the ideas presented in the more rigourous calculus classes.

At this point you should be entering your third year of study and the outline presented by your school likely presents topics in a useful manner. I recommended computer programming even though its not officially part of the physics program at my university because I feel it's a very important and useful skill.

I would recommend starting with basic mathematics concepts such as algebra and geometry before diving into more advanced mathematical concepts like calculus and linear algebra. This will provide a strong foundation for understanding physics concepts that rely heavily on mathematical principles.

Once a solid understanding of mathematics is established, I would suggest starting with introductory physics courses that cover fundamental concepts such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. These courses will provide a broad overview of the principles and laws that govern the physical world.

From there, I would recommend delving deeper into specific areas of physics such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics. It is important to maintain a steady pace and not rush through the material, as a strong understanding of the basics is crucial for comprehending more complex concepts.

Ultimately, the order in which one learns mathematics and physics may vary depending on personal learning style and interests. However, a strong understanding of mathematics and a broad foundation in physics will set the stage for a deeper understanding of the subject. It is also important to continuously review and practice previously learned concepts to solidify understanding and build upon knowledge.

Related to What is the Best Order to Learn Mathematics and Physics for Deep Understanding?

1. What is the purpose of a "subjects recommended order" in scientific research?

The purpose of a subjects recommended order is to determine the order in which different subjects or variables will be tested or studied in a scientific experiment. This helps to establish a logical and systematic approach to the research, ensuring that all variables are properly controlled and the results are reliable.

2. How is a "subjects recommended order" determined?

The subjects recommended order is determined by considering the specific goals of the research and the relationships between different variables. Factors such as the potential impact of each variable, the level of control needed, and the resources available may also influence the recommended order.

3. Can the "subjects recommended order" change during the course of the research?

Yes, the subjects recommended order can change during the course of the research. As new data is collected and analyzed, it may be necessary to adjust the order of subjects in order to refine the research design or address unexpected findings.

4. How does the "subjects recommended order" impact the validity of the research?

The subjects recommended order is important for maintaining the validity of the research. A well-designed and properly executed recommended order can help to control for confounding variables and produce more accurate results. On the other hand, a poorly chosen or inconsistent recommended order can introduce bias and compromise the validity of the research.

5. Is the "subjects recommended order" the same as the order of the scientific method?

No, the subjects recommended order is not the same as the order of the scientific method. The scientific method refers to the overall process of conducting scientific research, while the subjects recommended order is a specific aspect of the research design. The recommended order should be determined based on the scientific method, but it is not the same as the method itself.