What is the best online music website for discovering new artists?

• Music
  • Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, the conversation includes recommendations for online music websites such as www.allmusic.com and Yahoo Music, with one person expressing a preference for reading reviews and finding new artists over streaming music. The discussion also touches on the limited selection and personalization options of certain websites.
Saint
I like this one

yahoo music

Science news on Phys.org
I recommend www.allmusic.com too, I find it most useful when looking for bands that are influenced by others and such.

I don't listen to music from websites -- I read reviews, and find new artists and so on. I have no idea which sites are good for streaming audio.

- Warren

yahoo music is good, very easy to watch and listen to online MTV.

Unfortunately, a cursory scan of Yahoo's music page indicates very little music I'd actually enjoy listening to.

- Warren

chroot said:
very little music I'd actually enjoy listening to.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
pedantic :-p

I agree :redface:

Yahoo is pretty good provided you create your own station. It takes awhile to build up enough preferences, etc, and, at first, you get quite a few songs that you choose "never make me listen to this song again". But, eventually you get the songs you like best played quite often, plus new songs by your favorite artists, plus some semi-random songs based on the songs you've already included on your station.

They have a fair assortment of small label, non-mainstream artists, but not great (much better than you can find on the local radio stations here in Colorado Springs). Not nearly as good as Napster used to be, where if you had downloaded a few songs from the same person, you could decide it might just be worth browsing his directory and trying a few artists you'd never heard of with a pretty good chance you'd like them.

Related to What is the best online music website for discovering new artists?

1. What makes a music website the "best" online?

The best online music website is subjective and can vary depending on individual preferences. However, some common factors that contribute to a great online music website include a user-friendly interface, a wide selection of music genres, high-quality audio, and easy accessibility.

2. Can I listen to music for free on the best online music website?

Most online music websites offer both free and paid options for listening to music. The best online music websites may offer a limited selection of free music, but typically require a subscription or payment for full access to their library and features.

3. Are there any advertisements on the best online music website?

Some online music websites may have advertisements, especially on their free version. However, the best online music websites may have an ad-free option for subscribers or may have fewer and less intrusive ads compared to other websites.

4. Can I discover new music on the best online music website?

Many of the best online music websites have features that allow users to discover new music, such as personalized recommendations based on listening history, curated playlists, and artist/genre radio stations. This makes it easier for users to find and explore new music.

5. Is the best online music website available on all devices?

Most online music websites are accessible on various devices, including desktop computers, laptops, smartphones, and tablets. The best online music websites may also have a mobile app for easier access and on-the-go listening.