What is the best electronics textbook for non-electrical engineering majors?

In summary, there are several options for textbooks on electronics that are suitable for non-electrical engineering majors. The Art of Electronics by H&H is a popular reference book, while Electrical Essentials of Electrical and Computer Engineering by David V. Kerns Jr. is a comprehensive textbook that covers a lot of material. Additionally, "AllAboutCircuits" is a useful website for summarizing information from your current text. For those in a standard physics undergrad circuits course, Electronic Sensor Circuits and Projects by Forrest M. Mims and A Practical Introduction to Electronic Circuits by Martin Hartley Jones are recommended for their clarity and hands-on approach.
-Dragoon-
Currently taking an electronics course for physics students and the text we are using is electronics for scientists and engineers by Plonus. Unfortunately, the book seems to have a lot of errors and is just terrible overall. I've heard of the Art of Electronics by H&H, but it seems more of a reference to me than a textbook to actually take notes and learn from.

Other than Art of Electronics, are there any other standard texts for electronics that are for non-electrical engineering majors? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrical Essentials of Electrical and Computer Engineering by David V. Kerns Jr. is a great book. Whether you are a EE major or not, you will enjoy it and it will cover a lot of what your electronics course covers.

If you just need what your prof/text is saying said in another way, the website "AllAboutCircuits" is nice for that. It probably covers everything in your current text.

If you are just in the standard physics undergrad circuits course, and as someone who wasted their time in that course, I would suggest getting the following:
-Electronic Sensor Circuits and Projects, Forrest M. Mims
Build the circuits that are interesting to you and use the available equipment to explore the relations discussed in class.

This book does not include the basics, but starts with transistors and ultimately works towards explaining ICs. I think its the best electronics book for its clarity. It also includes stuff to build.
-A Practical Introduction to Electronic Circuits, Martin Hartley Jones

Related to What is the best electronics textbook for non-electrical engineering majors?

1. What are some popular electronics textbooks?

Some popular electronics textbooks include "Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory" by Robert Boylestad and Louis Nashelsky, "Principles of Electric Circuits" by Thomas Floyd, and "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill.

2. Are there any free online resources for learning about electronics?

Yes, there are many free online resources for learning about electronics. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, All About Circuits, and Electronics Tutorials.

3. Do I need any background knowledge to understand electronics textbooks?

While some basic understanding of math and physics may be helpful, most electronics textbooks are designed for beginners and assume no prior knowledge.

4. How can I choose the right electronics textbook for me?

To choose the right electronics textbook, consider your level of knowledge, the specific topics you want to learn, and your learning style. You can also read reviews and ask for recommendations from fellow students or professionals in the field.

5. Are there any interactive or hands-on activities in electronics textbooks?

Some electronics textbooks may include interactive or hands-on activities, but this varies depending on the book. It's best to check the table of contents or reviews to see if a particular textbook includes these types of activities.