What is the Best CFD Software for Modeling Heat Flow from a Jet Engine Exhaust?

In summary, The conversation discusses the need for software that can model heat flow over a plate near exhaust from a jet engine. Ansys-Fluent and other similar software are recommended, with the importance of boundary conditions mentioned. The original poster also mentions using simplified gas flow data and the potential for more complicated modeling. Solidworks Flow Simulation is suggested, but with a warning that it may not be suitable for complex CFD modeling and thermal boundary layers. Therefore, the poster may continue looking for alternative software.
TJ_Laser
Hi guys this is my first post. I hope it's in the right place.

I am trying to model heat flow over a plate positioned very close to exhaust from a jet engine. Can anyone recommend software that can do this? I'd like to be able to visualize the airflow itself, its temperature and the temperature gradient of the plate where it contacts the airflow.

Physics news on Phys.org
TJ_Laser said:
Hi guys this is my first post. I hope it's in the right place.

I am trying to model heat flow over a plate positioned very close to exhaust from a jet engine. Can anyone recommend software that can do this? I'd like to be able to visualize the airflow itself, its temperature and the temperature gradient of the plate where it contacts the airflow.

Try Ansys-Fluent module. hope this helps you

Any of the big ones will be fine (Ansys Fluent or CFX, Star, etc). If you want to do a full conjugate heat transfer model, then you'll probably need a heat transfer and multiphysics license.

What's important in this problem are your boundary conditions. Are you assuming a uniform exit profile from the jet nozzle? Do you have an experimental or numerical profile? Temperature can vary quite a bit coming out of the turbine.

Ansys looks promising. I will look into it.

We don't yet know the full scope of this project and the boundary conditions are not well established. I believe the gas flow will be simplified from experimental data. I think it's safe to say the exit profile is uniform but I'd like the freedom to model something more complicated should the need arise.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Follow up: Solidworks Flow Simulation is doing the trick beautifully.

Be careful with that package. It is not intended for any complex, serious CFD modeling. I would certainly certainly NOT pull heat convection BCs out of it. You may be decent on a pressure drop, but it will be very hard to get a proper thermal boundary layer.

Oh really? I didn't realize that. Maybe I'll keep looking then.

Related to What is the Best CFD Software for Modeling Heat Flow from a Jet Engine Exhaust?

1. What is CFD software and what is it used for?

CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) software is a computer program that uses numerical analysis to simulate and analyze fluid flow and heat transfer. It is mainly used in engineering and scientific fields to predict the behavior of fluids and their interaction with solid surfaces.

2. How do I choose the right CFD software for my project?

The right CFD software depends on your specific project requirements. Some factors to consider include the type of fluid flow (e.g. laminar or turbulent), geometry complexity, and desired accuracy. It is also important to evaluate the user-friendliness and support options of the software before making a decision.

3. Are there any free or open-source CFD software options available?

Yes, there are several free and open-source CFD software options available, such as OpenFOAM, Gmsh, and SU2. These programs can be a good choice for beginners or for simple simulations, but may have limited capabilities compared to paid software.

4. Can CFD software handle multiphase flow simulations?

Yes, some CFD software can handle multiphase flow simulations, where two or more fluids are present and interacting with each other. However, the accuracy and complexity of these simulations can vary depending on the software's capabilities and the user's expertise.

5. Is it necessary to have a background in programming to use CFD software?

While some CFD software may require programming knowledge for advanced customization, many programs have user-friendly interfaces and do not require programming skills. However, having a basic understanding of programming can be beneficial for troubleshooting and optimizing simulations.