What is the Best Approach for Solving a Complicated Double Integral?

In summary, the given problem involves calculating a double integral. The attempt at a solution includes trying a change of variable and polar coordinates, but neither method is convenient. The expert suggests using a trigonometric substitution to solve the integral.
Hernaner28

Homework Statement

I've got to calculate:

[tex]\displaystyle\int_0^1\displaystyle\int_0^x \sqrt{4x^2-y^2} dy dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried the change of variable:
[tex] \displaystyle t=4{{x}^{2}}-{{y}^{2}}[/tex] but it doesn't get better. I've also tried polar coordinates but it is not convinient either. Do you know a convenient change? I've been trying to figure it out for a long time.

** I also tried changing the order of integration but no results.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hernaner28 said:

Homework Statement

I've got to calculate:

[tex]\displaystyle\int_0^1\displaystyle\int_0^x \sqrt{4x^2-y^2} dy dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried the change of variable:
[tex] \displaystyle t=4{{x}^{2}}-{{y}^{2}}[/tex] but it doesn't get better. I've also tried polar coordinates but it is not convinient either. Do you know a convenient change? I've been trying to figure it out for a long time.

** I also tried changing the order of integration but no results.Thanks!

The y-integral (for any fixed value of x) is of the form
[tex] \int \sqrt{a^2 - y^2} \, dy, [/tex]
where it happens that a = 2x. This is a standard integral that you must surely have seen before; if not, do a change of variables using a trigonometric substitution.

RGV

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll try!

Related to What is the Best Approach for Solving a Complicated Double Integral?

1. What is a complicated double integral?

A complicated double integral is a type of mathematical calculation that involves finding the volume of a three-dimensional shape by integrating over a two-dimensional region. Unlike a regular double integral, a complicated double integral involves more complex functions and boundaries.

2. How is a complicated double integral solved?

Solving a complicated double integral involves breaking it down into smaller, more manageable integrals using techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. These smaller integrals can then be evaluated using techniques such as the fundamental theorem of calculus or numerical methods.

3. What are some real-world applications of complicated double integrals?

Complicated double integrals have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the center of mass of an object, determine the amount of work done by a force, or find the expected value of a random variable, among other things.

4. What are some common challenges when solving a complicated double integral?

Some common challenges when solving a complicated double integral include determining the correct boundaries and limits of integration, choosing an appropriate method of integration, and dealing with complex functions or variables. It can also be difficult to visualize the three-dimensional shape being integrated over.

5. How can I improve my understanding and skills in solving complicated double integrals?

Practicing regularly and seeking help from textbooks, online resources, or a tutor can greatly improve your understanding and skills in solving complicated double integrals. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in calculus and familiarity with various integration techniques.