What is the Astronomy Picture of the Day?

In summary, the conversation is about a user sharing a link to a NASA image on Reddit and someone else commenting on the beauty of the image. Another user shares a link to an astronomy photo on NASA's website and praises the team behind the images. They also mention a forum where members can get free tools for processing astrophotos and preview upcoming images before they are released to the public. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about NASA posting children's drawings of the moon.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Really beautiful.

Finally an astronomy one - I was worried that cuts had hit Nasa to the extent that they were just posting people's holiday snaps.
Next week it was going to be childrens' drawings of the moon.

Go here, sign up and be happy. Greg takes the imagery, Noel processes the images, and APODS result. As a bonus, if you become a member of OurDarkSkies forum, you qualify for a FREE set of Noel Carboni's Photoshop/CS actions with which to process astrophotos. These are very powerful tools that took him years to develop, and he sells them, but to ODS members, they are free. Best of all, Noel and Greg post their astrophotos (including later versions with more exposure time/different focal lengths added) on ODS before the rest of the world gets to see them, along with technical details on the images' production and processing. They have a book, "Starry Vistas", IIR in production with Springer, and it is sure to be a hit. I've been watching the images evolve and improve through their posts on ODS, and the process has been really fun.

http://forum.ourdarkskies.com/

mgb_phys said:
Finally an astronomy one - I was worried that cuts had hit Nasa to the extent that they were just posting people's holiday snaps.
Next week it was going to be childrens' drawings of the moon.

:smile:

Related to What is the Astronomy Picture of the Day?

1. What is "Astronomy Picture of the Day"?

"Astronomy Picture of the Day" (APOD) is a website maintained by NASA and Michigan Technological University that features a different astronomical image or photograph every day, along with a brief explanation written by a professional astronomer.

2. How are the images on "Astronomy Picture of the Day" chosen?

The images featured on APOD are chosen by a team of astronomers and astrophysicists from submissions and suggestions made by the public, as well as from NASA missions and other space agencies around the world.

3. Can anyone submit an image to be featured on "Astronomy Picture of the Day"?

Yes, anyone can submit an image to be considered for APOD. However, the image must be of high quality and have an interesting or unique astronomical subject. Submissions can be made through the APOD website.

4. How long has "Astronomy Picture of the Day" been running?

APOD has been running since June 16, 1995, and has featured over 25 years of daily images and explanations.

5. Can I use the images from "Astronomy Picture of the Day" for my own personal or educational purposes?

Yes, the images on APOD are available for personal and educational use, as long as they are not altered or used for commercial purposes. However, it is always recommended to check the individual image's copyright information for any restrictions.