What is the approach for solving problems involving sums and limits?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a complicated summation with a limit of each function being zero as n goes to infinity. However, it is not enough to conclude that the sum converges, as it also depends on the convergence of the individual terms. The example of \sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{1}{k} is given to illustrate this. It is also mentioned that the sum in the problem may diverge due to the condition of \frac{1}{sqrt(k)} governing the convergence to zero.
Apteronotus
I've been trying to tackle a problem of the following form
[tex]
lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \sum_{k=0}^n f(k,x)
[/tex]

I know that the limit of each function is zero as n goes to infinity.
ie. [tex]
lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} f(n,x) =0
[/tex]

But I'm not sure how to approach the problem above. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
what is f(k,x)

lol... I didnt want to write it, thinking it may scare people off. Its a pretty complicated formula consisting of another summation.
But f(k,x) -> 0 as k->infinity.
The convergence to zero is governed by 1/sqrt(k).

well wouldn't the limit of the sum of f(k,x) as n goes to infinity exclusively consist of f(k,x)

Basically we have the sum [tex]\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k[/tex], where we know [tex]\lim_{k\to\infty}a_k=0[/tex]. This information alone is not enough to conclude anything. For the sum to converge, it is necessary for a_k to converge to zero as k goes to infinity, but not sufficient. So if it would be the case that [tex]\lim_{k\to\infty}a_k\neq 0[/tex], then it follows that the sum does not converge. The fact that this condition is not sufficient, can be easily seen from the standard example [tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{1}{k}[/tex], which diverges even though 1/k->0 if k->\infty.

You say "the convergence to zero is governed by 1/sqrt(k)". Could you be more precise?

We have [tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{1}{\sqrt{k}}=\infty [/tex] since [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{k}}>\frac{1}{k}[/tex] for k>1, so probably your sum also diverges.

Related to What is the approach for solving problems involving sums and limits?

1. What is the definition of a sum?

A sum is the result of adding two or more numbers together.

2. What is the difference between an arithmetic sum and a geometric sum?

An arithmetic sum involves adding a constant value to each term in the sequence, while a geometric sum involves multiplying each term by a constant value.

3. How do you determine the limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence is the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the number of terms increases. It can be found by examining the pattern of the terms or using mathematical formulas.

4. What is the significance of finding the limit of a function?

The limit of a function is used to determine the behavior of the function at a specific point. It can help determine if the function is continuous, if there are any asymptotes, and the overall behavior of the function.

5. Can you give an example of a real-life application of sums and limits?

Sums and limits are used in many real-life applications, such as calculating interest rates, determining the speed of an object, and predicting future population growth. For example, the limit of a population growth function can be used to estimate the population of a city in the future.