What is the Angle Made by a Pendulum Using Parallel Lines?

In summary: Can I do this:mgsin theta + Tcos alpha - mgsin theta =0Yes, that is correct.In summary, the student attempted to solve homework equation but is having difficulty understanding how to proceed. They assumerealpha is the angle between the string and the roof and use the known downplane acceleration to solve for T and alpha.
Priyadarshini

Homework Statement

WP_20160129_22_47_05_Pro.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using parallel lines I got the angle as theta.

Physics news on Phys.org
Identify the forces on the pendulum bob through components of mg using theta

Suraj M said:
Identify the forces on the pendulum bob through components of mg using theta
The components of weight are mgcostheta and mgsintheta and there is tension acting in the string.

Could you draw a diagram to represent those forces on the bob,?

Suraj M said:
Could you draw a diagram to represent those forces on the bob,?
WP_20160129_23_43_31_Pro.jpg

Since it's in free fall along the plane I think you should take a pseudo force along that line of motion(##mg\sin\theta##)
Extend the length of the pendulum and label ##\alpha## I think you can proceed from there.

Suraj M said:
Since it's in free fall along the plane I think you should take a pseudo force along that line of motion(##mg\sin\theta##)
Extend the length of the pendulum and label ##\alpha## I think you can proceed from there.
The tension in the string has components too. So T sin alpha=mg
Sin alpha = 1
So, alpha is 90.
Thank you!

Priyadarshini said:
The tension in the string has components too. So T sin alpha=mg
Sin alpha = 1
So, alpha is 90.
Thank you!
Right answer, but I am baffled by your path to it.
I assume you are taking alpha as the angle between the string and the roof. If so, T sin alpha is not mg. And to perform your next step, you somehow had to have that T=mg. Where did that come from?

haruspex said:
I assume you are taking alpha as the angle between the string and the roof. If so, T sin alpha is not mg. And to perform your next step, you somehow had to have that T=mg. Where did that come from?
Alpha is the angle between the string and the roof. The tension in the string will be mg, wouldn't it? Because it'll be the mass of the bob and g will be acting on it.

haruspex said:
Alpha is the angle between the string and the roof. The tension in the string will be mg, wouldn't it? Because it'll be the mass of the bob and g will be acting on it.

Priyadarshini said:
Two forces act on the bob, the tension in the string and mg. You don't yet know what direction the tension is in. Also, the bob is accelerating, so the net force is not zero.
What you do know is that there is no acceleration perpendicular to the plane, so the forces must balance in that direction. But that still leaves you with two unknowns, T and alpha. So you need to use the known downplane acceleration of the system.

haruspex said:
Two forces act on the bob, the tension in the string and mg. You don't yet know what direction the tension is in. Also, the bob is accelerating, so the net force is not zero.
What you do know is that there is no acceleration perpendicular to the plane, so the forces must balance in that direction. But that still leaves you with two unknowns, T and alpha. So you need to use the known downplane acceleration of the system.
But won't the vertical component of tension be T sin alpha anyway? And the vertical components need to be balanced. But then which force would I equate it to?

Priyadarshini said:
But won't the vertical component of tension be T sin alpha anyway? And the vertical components need to be balanced. But then which force would I equate it to?
The component of the tension perpendicular to the roof will be T sin alpha, but that is not vertical.
The vertical components must balance if the acceleration has no vertical component, but it will have.

The component of gravitational force perpendicular to the inclined plane? Did you consider that? Relate that to the tension

Suraj M said:
The component of gravitational force perpendicular to the inclined plane? Did you consider that? Relate that to the tension
haruspex said:
The component of the tension perpendicular to the roof will be T sin alpha, but that is not vertical.
The vertical components must balance if the acceleration has no vertical component, but it will have.
Can I do this:
mgsin theta + Tcos alpha - mgsin theta =0

mgsintheta is the horizontal weight component and the horizontal component of T acts in the same direction as it. The -mgsintheta is from the pseudo force that acts on the block.

So, Tcos alpha = 0
Cos alpha =0
Alpha = 90
]

Priyadarshini said:
mgsintheta is the horizontal weight component and the horizontal component of T acts in the same direction as it. The -mgsintheta is from the pseudo force that acts on the block.
That works if you change all occurrences of 'horizontal' to ... what?

Related to What is the Angle Made by a Pendulum Using Parallel Lines?

What is the angle made by a pendulum?

The angle made by a pendulum is the angle between the pendulum's resting position and its position at any given point during its swing.

How is the angle of a pendulum measured?

The angle of a pendulum is typically measured using a protractor or other angle measuring tool. The angle is measured from the pendulum's resting position, with 0 degrees being the vertical position and 90 degrees being the maximum swing.

What factors affect the angle of a pendulum?

The angle of a pendulum can be affected by several factors, including the length of the pendulum, the weight of the pendulum bob, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also impact the angle of a pendulum.

What is the relationship between the angle of a pendulum and its period?

The angle of a pendulum and its period (the time it takes to complete one swing) are inversely related. This means that as the angle increases, the period decreases and vice versa. This relationship is known as the law of isochronism.

How does the angle of a pendulum affect its potential and kinetic energies?

The angle of a pendulum affects the potential and kinetic energies of the system. As the pendulum swings, it moves between potential energy (at the highest point) and kinetic energy (at the lowest point). The higher the angle, the more potential energy the pendulum has, and the lower the angle, the more kinetic energy it has.