What is the accurate growth rate formula for a given set of X and Y coordinates?

In summary, the person is having trouble with homework and needs help figuring out a growth rate formula. They used a calculator to try to find a function, but the constant keeps changing and they don't understand what it is doing. They are looking for someone to help them, but no one is willing to help. They suggest using a different function or plotting the data to see if there is a correlation between x and y.
the_awesome

Homework Statement

Hey, been having a lot of hmwk troubles. I haven't really been taught logistic functions or things relating to the matter. I need to figure out an accurate growth rate formula, and to me it seems to be like an exponential.

Note: this is like a table of X and Y coordinates. The maximum the length ( x value) can go to is around 80cm.

Length (cm). 10.1 25 32.6 35.4 43.8 45.5 55.7
Weight (g)... 16 244 542 695 1319 1479 2720

Homework Equations

I'm guessing the logistics equation?
c/ [1 + Ae-bx]
and
1/[1 + e-x]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really have a clue. I typed it into my calculator, then used the stat function to find a formula for me. It came up with:
5091/[1 + 221.8e-0.1X

However, I have no idea how the values were calculated. The constant keeps changing, and I've tried using f(x) = arx. But that doesn't work either.

Could someone please help me out? Maybe put it into simple terms? All googling about logistics haven't helped me at all :/

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think that it is a logistics formula? What hints are there? I would suggest that you use something better to fit with than the stat function of your calculator if you don't understand what it is doing and the constant keeps changing. For instance, a spreadsheet program might be good for plotting and curve fitting. It wouldn't help to read up on curve fitting at some point soon. The logistics formula is a bit complicated, so I would try a different function like the last one you gave unless you have a good reason to try something else.

Its logistic because it has a maximum length. Exponentials continue while logistic ones have maximum, or so i believe?
Is anybody actually willing to help me with this?

I echo badphysicist's suggestion of graphing the data. Often, after graphing a set of data it is quite obvious that the form of the graph is close to the characteristic form of a well known set of functions.

In terms of the maximum value, I wouldn't worry about it at this stage. If you're lucky you might find that the maximum value falls out of the function we chose, otherwise we can simply define the function on a restricted domain.

Last edited:
The stat function on my calculator graphs it for me. It moves like an exponential.

the_awesome said:
The stat function on my calculator graphs it for me. It moves like an exponential.

In that case, plot x vs. log y or log x vs. y to see if there is a linear correlation. If so, you can use linear regression to find the line of best fit and "un-log-ing" to get the exponential of best fit.

Just because a maximum value is given does not mean the function is asymptotic to this value (as in the logistic model) but it may just cap out at some point implying a piecewise curve (i.e f is exponential for x <= a and f = 80 for x > a).

--Elucidus

Related to What is the accurate growth rate formula for a given set of X and Y coordinates?

1. What is the growth rate formula?

The growth rate formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the rate at which a quantity or value changes over a period of time, typically expressed as a percentage. It is commonly used in economics and business to measure the growth of a company or economy.

2. How is the growth rate formula calculated?

The growth rate formula is calculated by taking the difference between the final value and initial value of a quantity, dividing it by the initial value, and then multiplying by 100. The equation can be written as: (Final Value - Initial Value) / Initial Value * 100.

3. What is the significance of the growth rate formula?

The growth rate formula is significant because it allows us to understand and measure the rate of change of a quantity over time. This information can be used to make informed decisions and predictions about future growth and development.

4. Are there different versions of the growth rate formula?

Yes, there are different versions of the growth rate formula depending on the context in which it is being used. For example, in finance, the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) formula is often used to calculate the average annual growth rate of an investment over a period of time.

5. What are some limitations of the growth rate formula?

There are a few limitations to consider when using the growth rate formula. It assumes a constant rate of growth, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, it does not take into account external factors that may impact the growth rate, such as economic conditions or competition. It is important to use the growth rate formula in conjunction with other metrics and analysis to get a more accurate understanding of growth.

Back